Saturday, September 17, 2016

In And Out Of Africa

At the State Library.

Belle has found them an atlas, and opened it at the right page.

While you guys look at this, says Belle, I'll just pop over to the Art Gallery. There's something I want to see. I'll be back soon. Don't turn any pages.

She goes off down the stairs.

Baby Pierre and Terence look at the big map of Africa.

This is the wrong page, says Terence. This is AFRICA.

No, says Baby Pierre. It's the right page. The Canaries will be in the water.

Daniel O'Connell crawls all over the map, looking for water.

Can I help you? asks a kind lady.

We're looking for the Canaries, says Baby Pierre.

Oh, the islands, says the kind lady. Here they are. Here, and here. Any one in particular?

Tenerife, says Daniel O'Connell.

A spider! cries the kind lady. She brings down a fist on the map.

Daniel O'Connell just escapes it.

I suppose I shouldn't have done that, says the kind lady.

Why not? asks Baby Pierre. Is it because you thought better of killing a spider?

No, says the kind lady. But I was taught never to damage a library book.

Me too, says Terence.

I'll call an attendant, says the kind lady.

No, don't do that, says Baby Pierre. We can take care of the spider.

Parrot, says Terence.

LIBERATOR, says Daniel O'Connell. I'm sick of this being.

Baby Pierre is impressed.

There are days when he too has been sick of this being.

The kind lady herself has had her bad moments.

.........


Meanwhile, Belle is in the Art Gallery looking at the Japanese exhibition.

She sits on a wooden bench in front of Ever Blossoming, watching the tiny pink and white blossoms unfold.

.........

In the State Library, the kind lady has formed a more equal relationship with Daniel O'Connell.

The countryside teems with my natural children, says Daniel O'Connell.

You don't say, says the kind lady. I have six grandchildren, and they are a handful.

It's why I want to visit the Canaries, says Daniel O'Connell. I have relatives there. The Tenerife Black Jumping spiders.

I've heard of them, says the kind lady. But Tenerife is a long way away.

It doesn't look it, says Baby Pierre.

Not from Africa, says the kind lady. But it's along way from here.

Where is here? asks Terence.

The kind lady turns the pages until she comes to the map of Australia.

Hey, says Daniel O'Connell, squeezing out from between the stiff pages. I was in Africa!

........

Belle is having a skinny flat white in the Art Gallery café.

Three women at the next table are laughing.

Ha ha ha.

One of them glances up. They were laughing so loudly. Are people looking?

She sees Belle, at the next table.

Belle, dear! says Margaret. Do join us. We're sharing some cakes.

Margaret, says Belle. I was only talking about you to Gaius this morning.

Really, says Margaret. Is he back from the poisonous cave?

Yes, says Belle. And he's already off on a new tangent.

Oh, and what is it? asks Margaret, in a tone that she hopes does not indicate excessive interest.

No comments: