Sunday, September 25, 2016

So Much For Blood Ties

Tullio brings the University tinny up against Margaret's.

Tullio! says Ageless. What are you doing here?

I might ask you the same thing, says Tullio. But first, let me rescue these ladies.

Thank you, says Margaret. Please do.

Tullio helps Margaret first, because she is older.

Heave ho. Margaret is back in the tinny.

Then he helps Belle.

Belle is shivering. Her red skirt sticks to her legs.

Tullio hands her a towel.

By the way, says Margaret. Gaius is still down there.

No I am not, says Gaius, from the water at the side of the tinny. I am just taking a breather.

Have you seen Baby Pierre? asks Ageless. Is he rescuing Terence?

Of course not, snaps Gaius. He is too puny. Margaret, do you have a rope?

Margaret looks about her ill-equipped tinny.

No, says Margaret. No rope.

First rule of the sea, says Tullio. Bring a rope.

Is it? says Belle. Does that mean you have one?

I do, says Tullio. Sit tight, and I'll hand it over.

He locates the rope stowed in the university tinny, and throws it to Gaius, who disappears under the surface, leaving a fine trail of bubbles.

Not only bubbles.

A hat.

And on the hat, is Daniel O'Connell, breathing quickly.

Margaret reaches over the side of the tinny, and lifts up the hat, along with Daniel O'Connell.

A translucent spider! says Tullio. How remarkable. He looks like the sort of spider one might find in an underground cave. Perhaps breathing methane. But of course that's impossible. Come here, little spider.

Daniel remains on the hat. Little spider!

That's Daniel O'Connell, says Belle. He has a proud history.

I do, says Daniel O'Connell. 'Tis true I was born in a cave, and breathed methane, but since then I have adapted to life on the surface, and I might add, I had no trouble at all in the water.

Tullio is astonished. Go on.

I call myself Daniel O'Connell, after the Liberator. You'll have heard of him.

No, says Tullio. I haven't.

Oh, says Daniel O'Connell. Well never mind that. In my short time on the surface I have been apprenticed as a parrot, but I soon found that the role did not suit me. Now I am looking to make my own way to the Canaries, where I have relatives.

Don't tell me, says Tullio. Are they the Black Jumping Spiders? I may be able.....

Swooosh! Splash!

Gaius is back, spraying a fountain of droplets.

He lifts Terence over the side of Margaret's tinny. Belle grabs him.

Yay! says Terence. I'm saved.

So am I, says Baby Pierre. Thanks, Ageless.

Why thank me? asks Ageless I did nothing.

Exactly, says Baby Pierre. So much for blood ties.

There you have me, says Ageless.

Is this a relative? asks Tullio. Is this Baby Pierre?

Yes, says Ageless. It is he. As a matter of fact he was assisting me down there in the sea grasses, where I was measuring fish noise.

What a coincidence! says Tullio. I have recently been involved in a study measuring fish noise.

It is no coincidence, says Gaius, lifting himself into the tinny. Well, it is and it isn't.

No comments: