Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Stage Seventeen : Pont du Gard to Gap - Space

A hilly stage, full of antiquities.

Not least of which are the Team Philosophe riders.

Let's pace ourselves today, suggests Vello.

You may, says Nietzsche. I'm going all out.

He speeds forward and soon draws level with Mouldy.

Number one! cries Mouldy.

You are not number one, says Nietzsche. But I admire your confidence.

I have fast socks, explains Mouldy.

I do not rely on socks, says Nietzsche. I rely on my inner resources.

I am a pebble, says Mouldy. I don't need to have inner resources.

You must have something, says Nietzsche. You have done very well to get here.

I put it down to my time with the thrombolites, says Mouldy. I learned to breathe underwater.

How long were you underwater? asks Nietzsche.

All weekend, says Mouldy. They thought I was one.

And were you? asks Nietzsche.

No, I wasn't, says Mouldy.

I intend to speed up now, says Nietzsche. Will you match me?

No worries, says Mouldy. See these legs?

But Nietzsche has already sped up and passed Nairo Quintana and Roman Bardet.

Not a great feat but a good one.

He is reciting a poem under his breath.

It's the ingenious poem of Pablo Neruda, which has spread through the grapevine this year.

Take every opportunity
Find an opening
Go through it
Don't ever consider
That space may be there for a reason.

Up ahead of everyone, Matteo Trentin is resolving to change the last line.



No comments: