Friday, November 15, 2019

False Promise

I'm not a loser, says Terence. I'm here to do science.

What sort of science? asks Jerry.

Ecological science? asks Dad. I heard your grandfather say he'd be bird spotting.

Where was he? asks Terence.

Back at the kiosk, says Dad. Wasn't he your grandpa?

No, says Terence. That was Gaius. He's our team leader.

And the young man who was with him, says Mum. Is he a scientist?

That's Arthur, says Terence. He's a poet.

How romantic, says Mum. What's he done to his knee?

He cut it, fighting, says Terence. We all had knives. Captain de Kermadec lost his claw.

Good heavens! says Mum. YOU had a knife fight?

Yes, says Terence. I've still got the knife. Want to see it?

I'll take it, says Mum. I won't have you sitting in the back of the car next to my Jerry with a knife. Hand it over.

Terence pulls the knife out of his pocket, and hands it to Mum.

Oh, it's a steak knife, says Mum. And look at the fancy handle.

Dad glances at the fancy handle, although he is driving.

Very nice, says Dad. Eighteenth century French.

Can I have it back when we get there? asks Terence.

I suppose so, says Mum.

Jerry looks at Terence with more respect than before.

He offers Terence another Spew Ball without saying Have a Spew Ball.

Terence accepts one. He holds it up, but doesn't eat it.

There are two diphthongs in this, says Terence.

That's very clever, says Mum. I suppose you mean the long vowels.

Terence hesitates.

Yes, says Jinjing. He does. I taught him that.

You're a smart parrot, says Mum. Where are you from?

Hong Kong, says Jinjing.

Oh dear, says Mum. You must be so sad. All the protests.

No, says Jinjing. We drone robots don't concern ourselves with protests.We just do our job.

What's your job? asks Jerry.

Way finding, song making, contact with birds at high levels, says Jinjing.

Stop boasting, says Terence.

If I look good, you look good, says Jinjing.

You both look good, says Dad. Or at least, interesting. Don't they Jerry?

Jerry sucks on a Spew Ball. It's sour. The sourness builds until pop, sticky liquid lime syrup fills his mouth.

But it doesn't spill out of his mouth like a river.

That was a false promise.

No comments: