Saturday, November 30, 2019

What Lighthouse?

Gaius and Katherine are looking for Terence, in the forest.

He can't be far off, says Gaius.

I hope not, says Katherine. What did he do?

It was my fault, says Gaius. I told him to tap me on the shoulder if he heard something. He tapped me. I dropped my notes, and when I realised the pages weren't numbered, I became testy.

You should always number your notes, says Katherine. Are they still in a muddle?

Yes, says Gaius. I was hoping to see Arthur in the café. But he wasn't there.

I saw him, says Katherine. He told me he'd been up a tree.

Up a tree? says Gaius. Did he say what he was doing?

Fixing a broadcasting device, says Katherine. I asked if it was yours, but he told me it wasn't.

So whose was it? asks Gaius.

I had no time to ask. He went off to meet someone, says Katherine.

The owner of the broadcasting device, says Gaius.

Most probably, says Katherine.

Perhaps we'll come across them, says Gaius.

Or hear the broadcast, says Katherine.

Good thinking, says Gaius.

They stop and listen.

They do not hear the broadcast.

They hear Terence a few trees away, saying crossly: Because I'm the team leader!

And two parrots apologising.

Sorry. Sorry.

Katherine and Gaius creep forward.

Terence continues to lecture the parrots.

Don't talk. Be quiet, like me.

Okay, says Jinjing. Is it okay if we whisper?

No! says Terence. What would you whisper?

The same things were were saying loudly before, says Swift Parrot.

Gaius can't contain his excitement. He bursts round a tree.

Bumhole! says Terence. You scared them.

The Swift Parrot has swiftly departed.

That was unprofessional, Gaius, says Katherine. You frightened the bird off.

I'll go after him, says Jinjing. He rises, hovers and shoots through the trees after his new friend the Swift Parrot.

That was Swift Parrot, says Terence. He was rubbish at listening.

I wouldn't say that, says Katherine. He heard us.

You were loud! says Terence. And now look. I've lost all my parrots.

I could kick myself, says Gaius. A Swift Parrot!

He might come back, says Terence. He LOVES Jinjing.

Did he say so? asks Gaius. What type of love are we talking?

What a question to ask Terence, says Katherine. Now Terence, I don't have long. But how would you like to talk to your little friend Jerry? He's going to visit the Lighthouse.

My mission is ruined, and my team has disappeared, says Terence. What Lighthouse?




No comments: