Thursday, November 14, 2019

A Bumpy Ride With Strangers

Katherine has left, for the Cheese Co.

Now Gaius perceives a slight problem.

Hum, says Gaius.

What is it? asks Arthur.

Two bicycles, says Gaius. No basket on either. How will we transport Terence?

And my luggage! says Terence.

What luggage? asks Gaius.

Terence indicates his two packets of Spew Balls, his steak knife and Jinjing.

That's one thing we won't need to worry about, says Gaius. Jinjing can fly. I suppose I could squeeze you into my back pack.

What else is in there? asks Terence.

Notebooks, spare underwear, a few apple cores, says Gaius. It could do with a clear out.

I might go in Arthur's, says Terence.

I've got the lerps, says Arthur.

It'll have to be mine, says Gaius, unloading his back pack.

But then......

Problems? asks Dad.

It's the dad from the kiosk. The dad of the kid who got the third to last packet of Spew Balls.

Not really, says Gaius.

Looks like you've got space problems, says Dad. Which way are you heading?

To Dennes Hill, says Gaius. Bird spotting.

We're going that way, says Dad. Meant to be great views from the Jetty Café. Your kid can get a lift with us, if you want. My kid would love it.

What do you think, Terence? asks Gaius.

Can I bring Jinjing? asks Terence.

What a good idea, says Gaius.

But I'm meant to be flying, says Jinjing.

Change of plan, says Gaius. Save your energy for when we get there.

So Jinjing gets into Dad's car with Terence.

Meet you at the Jetty Café, says Dad. Take your time. The road's not sealed all the way.

What a nice fellow, says Gaius. But I feel happier that Jinjing's going with them. One shouldn't entrust one's charge entirely to strangers.

I guess not, says Arthur.

Gaius repacks his back pack except for the apple cores.

Arthur checks the state of his lerps.

They smell a bit like last night's dinner.

He and Gaius set off, cycling, with P. krameri flying above them.

P. krameri likes this situation.

Meanwhile Terence is being introduced to Dad's wife and the kid with the third pack of Spew Balls.

Dad's wife is called Mum, and the kid is called Jerry.

Have a Spew Ball, says Jerry.

I've got my own, says Terence.

Ha ha, laughs Jerry. I got to be the one who said it.

I could have said it, says Terence. Have a Spew Ball.

Loser, says Jerry.

No comments: