Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Imagining You Realistic

Lucky I'm the Captain, says Terence again.

No one answers.

Because, says Terence.

But no one asks Why?

Because I'm allowed to bump into things, says Terence.

Slap slap. Waves are getting larger.

He is floating out of the Oyster Cove Marina.

I'm going, says Terence. Goodbye.

The stars look down on Terence in the way that stars do ( that is, not actually looking).

What did I bring? asks Terence.

What? A steak knife. Nothing more.

Not even his Peruvian hat.

Clink! The last clink clinks faintly, far behind him, in the marina.

I need some advice, says Terence. What would Baby Bin Penguin do?

He imagines Baby Bin Penguin.

Asking him what to do.

Don't go far off, says Baby Bin Penguin.

Too late now, says Terence. I've gone far off already.

Turn around, says Baby Bin Penguin.

Can't, says Terence. I've only got a steak knife.

Ha ha, laughs Baby Bin Penguin. I know.

This is not like Baby Bin Penguin!

You're not Baby Bin Penguin, says Terence.

You imagined me, says Baby Bin Penguin. That means I am.

No, it means I'm LOST, says Terence. And I'm imagining bad things.

Imagine I'm P. krameri, says Baby Bin Penguin.

Okay, says Terence. What shall I do?

I just told you, says Baby Bin Penguin.

Not YOU! says Terence. I'm asking him now.

Slap slap. The waves are getting bigger.

A parakeet lands on the side of the dinghy.

Found you! says P. krameri. What do you think you're doing?

Imagining you, says Terence. And I'm doing a really good job. You look realistic.

I am realistic, says P. krameri. More realistic than Jinjing. He's just sitting on a pontoon next to a mooring bollard, snivelling.

That's a surprise, says Terence.

Not to me, says P. krameri. He's soft at heart. So, what shall we do about the fact that you recklessly cut yourself loose from the Recherche and floated off in the darkness with only a steak knife?

Turn me around, says Terence.

Or you could keep going, says P. krameri. In the morning you'll fetch up on Bruny Island. What an exploit!

I don't want to exploit, says Terence.

It's not always a verb, says P. krameri. It's a noun that means a fantastic adventure.

Are you coming with me? asks Terence.

No, says P. krameri. I'll go back and tell the others.Then I'll fly back and join you.

Okay, says Terence. But I'll still be the Captain.

Of course you will, says P. krameri.

Terence is happy with that.




No comments: