Friday, November 1, 2019

Hearties Cause Mayhem

I'm afraid I can't offer you dinner, says Captain Bruni. My cupboard is bare. But the Oyster Cove Inn will be open.

O yes, I'm starving, says Katherine.

Who's coming? asks Captain Bruni. Obviously not the parrots. They don't let birds in.

That's not fair, says Terence. If they can't go, I'm not going.

I'll stay here with Terence, says Captain de Kermadec. And the parrots. We can play pirates.

Yay! says Terence.

I don't know..... says Katherine. We only just met you.

Madam, says Captain de Kermadec, Captain Bruni will vouch for me.

I will, says Captain Bruni. I have known Captain de Kermadec since 1792.

But he wouldn't have been a lobster then, says Katherine.

True, says Captain Bruni. Neither would I. However, no doubt even you have changed a little, over the years. That is to say, you are still a most charming lady, in your green and black scarf.....

Thank you, says Katherine, but.... can we get Uber eats here?

No, says Captain Bruni.

I'll stay, if you bring me back a burger, says Arthur. Make that two.

No need for two, says Captain de Kermadec. I've already eaten. My wife made scallop pie.

....

So Captain Bruni, Katherine and Gaius head off to the Oyster Cove Inn, which overlooks the marina.

And Terence remains on the Recherche, with Arthur, Captain de Kermadec and the two parrots.

Not forgetting Dear Zebra, who has died.

Now let's play pirates, says Captain de Kermadec. Who knows what pirates do?

They cut things, says Terence.

That's one thing, says Captain de Kermadec.

They have parrots, says Jinjing.

And parakeets, says P. krameri.

No, not parakeets, says Jinjing.

Let's say they do, says Captain de Kermadec. Who'll have which parrot or parakeet?

Arthur will have me, says Jinjing.

Arthur had not particularly wanted a parrot.

But it looks like he's having Jinjing.

I'll have P. krameri, says Terence. P krameri, sit on my shoulder!

P. krameri obliges, although its hard to get a grip on Terence's shoulder.

We'll just pretend I've got a parrot, says Captain de Kermadec.

No! says Terence. You can have Dear Zebra. She might come alive if she's playing.

Is this Dear Zebra? asks Captain de Kermadec. She appears dead. May I uproot her?

Okay, says Terence.

Captain de Kermadec uproots Dear Zebra, and places her on his hat.

A captain's hat, with a tooth and crossbones logo and a spiky dead plant at an angle.

He looks fearsome.

Now, me hearties, let's cause mayhem!


No comments: