Sunday, October 18, 2020

Copper Studded Yellow Bracelet

Not really nothing, thinks Arthur. But nothing much.

He is still at Remarkable Rocks.

He is watching the tourists, taking selfies.

One of them wears a copper studded leather bracelet.

It reminds him of Sweezus.

Why not call him?

He does.

Arthur: You back yet?

Sweezus: Yeah. In quarantine. It's mega-boring. What're you doing?

Arthur: The Ears have been abducted. 

Sweezus: Terence's Ears?

Arthur: Yes. Into the lighthouse.

Sweezus: At least you know where they are.

Arthur: It'll be locked at the moment. No tours until further notice.

Sweezus: Wish I was there.

Arthur: No you don't. I haven't had any breakfast.

Sweezus: Bummer. At least I get food here.

Arthur: Like what?

Sweezus: Eggs on toast.   

Arthur: Jealous.

Sweezus: I get out next week. I might come over.

Arthur: You can help count survivors.

Sweezus: What? Oh yeah the bush fires. I'd forgotten about those.  

Arthur picks up his bike and heads for the lighthouse, thinking about eggs on toast.

With extra butter.

He hasn't gone far when he sees Perrot's Toyota Hi-Lux coming towards him. It stops.

Gaius gets out.

Arthur! says Gaius.

I'm heading to the lighthouse, says Arthur. Why aren't you there?

We've just left, says Gaius. You won't need us, will you?

No, says Arthur. But tell me what you know.

Mu! says Terence, poking his head out of the window.

That's not much, says Arthur.

Louisa gets out too.

I'll go back to the lighthouse with you, says Louisa. I know the story.

Wonderful, says Gaius. Terence and I will get a lift back to the Ravine des Casoars, and pick up Baby Glossy.

Yay! says Terence. 

What about the Ears? says Arthur. Do you want them back or don't you?

It's up to the Ears, assuming they're able to make a decision, says Gaius.

He looks meaningfully at Arthur, then at Terence, who isn't listening.


No comments: