Thursday, October 1, 2020

Placebo Wizard

 Is it asleep? asks Gaius.

It was when I left, says Saint Roley. I returned here at once.

And you remember where you left it? asks the copperhead.

Of course, says Saint Roley.

I'd like to sight it, says Gaius. 

I sighted it, says Saint Roley. Is that not enough?

Hearsay, says the copperhead. Mr Secundus no longer relies on hearsay, as much.

I gather you've been discussing his early works, says Saint Roley. 

We have, says the copperhead. I've just set him right about snakes.

I was already right about them says Gaius. As I was saying....

His remedy for toothache, says Saint Roley. 

So funny, says the copperhead.

Before you embarrass yourselves further, says Gaius, let me tell you I've had some success with erigeron.

Placebo effect, mouths Saint Roley.

You can't tell what he's mouthing, (it's a beak issue), but the copperhead is thinking the same.

Let's go, says Gaius. Is it far from here?

Not far, says Saint Roley. Just a little way up the ravine, over some boulders and past forty two clumps of grass.

Forty two! Impressive, says Gaius.

Saint Roley looks modest.

Is it all right if I come? asks the copperhead.

Gaius and Saint Roley eye one another.

They both know the copperhead has ambiguous views on the dunnart.

Only to help count the grass clumps, says the copperhead. I'm a wizard at mathematics.

One doesn't need to be a wizard at mathematics to count forty two, says Saint Roley. 

Give her the benefit of the doubt, says Gaius. You won't eat this dunnart, will you?

Of course not, says the copperhead. Not with two witnesses. And if it's asleep, where's the thrill?

Hum. Still ambiguous.

Nonetheless, all three of them go.


No comments: