Monday, October 26, 2020

Cockadeux

Did you go to the lighthouse? asks Captain Baudin.

We did, says Gaius. We met Captain du Couedic.

He kept my Ears, says Terence. 

Only un was your Ear, says Baby Glossy. Un was mine.

It wasn't an onion, says Terence. It was an orange.

It wasn't an orange, says Baby-Glossy. It was a peel. And I didn't say onion.

You started to, says Terence.

Un, says Baby-Glossy. It's a nombre.

Terence tries to think what that nombre could be.

One! says Terence. 

I knew you would understand me, says Baby-Glossy. 

That's wonderful, says Gaius. Well, we must be going. We have birds to count, and record in my notebook.

Before you go, says Captain Baudin, May I ask you un question?

Go ahead, says Gaius.

Did the Ears stay with du Coeudic of their own volition? asks Captain Baudin.

We believe so, says Gaius. I had my doubts, so I sent Arthur back to investigate. All appeared well, but he intends to go back under cover of night with a ladder, just to be certain.

Very wise, says Captain Baudin. Well au revoir, mes amis. I must return to my lonely life style.

Bye bye, my Captain, says Baby-Glossy. 

I hope you count many birds, says Captain Baudin.

I will return un day, to tell you the nombres, says Baby-Glossy.

You can't, unless I say so, says Terence. You're going to be my new parrot

Cockadoo! says Baby-Glossy.

Cockadeux, says Captain Baudin.

Ha ha! laughs Gaius. Cockadeux! Very good, you two.

Gaius loads Terence into his back pack and gets on his bicycle.

Baby-Glossy realises he is expected to fly.


No comments: