Tuesday, October 20, 2020

My Sensory Hairs

 Arthur and Louisa arrive at the lighthouse.

They lean their bikes on a tree.

One of the Ears is at the top of the steps, addressing a small group of tourists.

Ear: Mail was delivered fortnightly from Kingscote by horseback to Rocky River.

Tourist: Where is Rocky River?

Ear: Nine miles from here. Interestingly, there is still an old cottage there, named Postman's Cottage....

That Ear knows its stuff, says Louisa. 

Where's the other one? asks Arthur. 

The other Ear appears, dangling on a rope from the highest window.

Although Cape du Couedic was rarely foggy, the lighthouse had a full set of rocket apparatus and rope ladders for scaling the cliffs during rescues, says the other Ear.

How cool is that! says Louisa.

Not bad, says Arthur. 

We'd better find Captain du Couedic, says Louisa. Just to be certain.

Okay, says Arthur. You wait here. I'll go round the back.

He goes, leaving his bike with Louisa.

Behind the lighthouse a lobster in a sea captain's hat is scraping his claws on the wall.

Bonjour! says the lobster. The talk's round the front.

I know, says Arthur. I was looking for you.

Captain du Couedic, à votre service, says Captain du Couedic.

Arthur Rimbaud, says Arthur.

The famous cyclist! says Captain du Couedic. But you did not go to the Tour de France this year. Pourquoi pas?

No team, says Arthur.

Alas the virus, says Captain du Couedic.

Alas the virus, agrees Arthur. My friend went. But as a domestique, not a captain.

This would be Sweezus? says Captain du Couedic. I know of him also.

Yes, says Arthur. He's in quarantine. But he's coming next week.

Eh bien! Let him come to visit the lighthouse! says Captain du Couedic. I have recently appointed two excellent tour guides. They are Ears, as you may have seen. Not only do they speak with great knowledge, but they help me with my hearing. I don't hear well out of the water. This is why I am scraping my sensory hairs on the wall of the lighthouse.

That's funny, says Arthur.

Not at all funny, says Captain du Couedic.

Just thinking aloud, says Arthur. I never saw Ageless do that.

You know Ageless lobster! says Captain du Couedic. Is he here?

No, he isn't, says Arthur. How do you know him?

All the sea captains know him, says Captain du Couedic. Baudin, de Freycinet, Louttit, me.

Okay, says Arthur. I'm going to tell Gaius his fears were unfounded.

What fears were those? asks Captain du Couedic.

He feared for the Ears, says Arthur. But they seem quite happy.

Naturellement, says Captain du Couedic. It's a fine life.

So Arthur goes back to the front of the lighthouse, where the Ears are being thanked by the tourists.

Sometimes, everything is okay.


No comments: