Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Too Late Now

Perrot peers into the rock pool.

It's okay. He's coming up, says Perrot.

Terence's face breaks the surface.

Perrot grabs his hand.

Louisa grabs the other, and Terence is rescued.

Thank you, says Terence. What took you so long?

The fur seal dived in after you, says Louisa. We decided to wait, and see what happened.

And what happened? asks Terence.

He brought you up, says Louisa. But he took his time about it.

He wanted to teach me a lesson, says Terence. I had to stay down till I learned it.

What was it? asks Louisa.

Have you eaten your breakfast? asks Terence.

No, says Louisa. Remember we stayed in the park overnight? And we finished the oranges? And Arthur scoffed all the chocolate.

Isn't that forbidden? asks Perrot.

It was Arthur, says Louisa. We didn't mind.

I mean staying overnight in the park? says Perrot. It's not allowed until they fix the amenities.

We had special permission, says Louisa. 

Aren't you hungry? asks Claudine. Dad, have we got any snacks in the car?

HEY! says Terence. Remember my lesson?

Yes, says Louisa. You asked have I eaten my breakfast. And I haven't.

Not you, says Terence. Alfonse. Have you?

Yes, says Alfonse. I had a peanut butter sandwich.

In a bowl? asks Terence.

No, says Alfonse. Who has a sandwich in a bowl?

What then? asks Terence.

In my hands, says Alfonse.

Then wash your hands, says Terence. Do you understand what I'm saying?

Too late now, says Alfonse. 

What's this lesson? asks Perrot. 

Wrongly taught me, says Terence. He and me are natural teachers. It's a lesson. But it should be a bowl.

Everyone (except Alfonse) acts as though they have understood the lesson.

It should be a bowl.


No comments: