Friday, October 23, 2020

Paradise!

 Sweezus is trying to get an exemption.

He has called Victor (a policeman).

Everyone wants an exemption, says Victor. What for?

Gotta go to KI to help with a rescue, says Sweezus.

Who needs to be rescued? asks Victor. 

Two friends, says Sweezus. They've been imprisoned.

On Kangaroo Island? says Victor. I was there a few days ago. All was in order.

It's not now, says Sweezus. 

Give me the details, says Victor. I'll look into it.

Thing is, they need a ladder, says Sweezus.

I can arrange that, says Victor. Where are your friends imprisoned?

Cape du Couedic lighthouse, says Sweezus.

That damn lobster! mutters Victor. Why didn't you say?

Does he have form? asks Sweezus. 

Yes, says Victor. I'll head off at once. Can you give me the names of the victims?

Not really, says Sweezus. They're friends of friends, kind of.

Description?  asks Victor.

Orange, says Sweezus. And one's bigger than the other.

Very helpful, says Victor. Well, cheerio. I'll keep you posted.

Sweezus wishes he hadn't called Victor.

Trust a policeman to sidestep the issue.

He lies down on his hotel bed. Looks up at the ceiling.

What would Arthur do?

Just walk out probably.

Yes but Arthur isn't employed by the editor of Velosophy.

Vello! 

He calls Vello.

Sweezus, says Vello. Are you out yet?

No, says Sweezus.  

I am, says Vello. So is David. How are you enjoying it? Eggs on toast every morning. Paradise! I miss that.

I'm over it, says Sweezus. Still got three days to go.

Ha ha! We should swap places, says Vello. How would that be? I bet no one would notice.

I bet they wouldn't, says Sweezus. That'd be awesome. I've got leads on a kidnapping story on Kangaroo Island. I should get there before the trail goes cold.

Kidnapping, says Vello. That's not our usual thing. Are there bicycles involved? And philosophers? 

I reckon, says Sweezus. A couple of minor philosophers, and bikes, definitely.

This is tempting, says Vello. How would we do it? What floor are you on?

Third, says Sweezus.

I presume you have a window? says Vello.

Yeah, says Sweezus. 

I'll bring a ladder says Vello. I'll dress up as a window cleaner. 

Boss, you're a lifesaver! says Sweezus. 

I'll be there shortly, says Vello. Oh, and once you're out, take the ladder.


No comments: