Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Three Raisins

Captain Baudin scrapes his way to the mouth of the cave.

His visitors are slowly receding.

Gaius is wobbling away on his bicycle, as there is no road.

Terence's head is poking out of Gaius's back pack.

Baby-Glossy flies overhead, in a zigzag pattern.

Captain Baudin wonders if there is a reason.

But it's no longer his business.

His mind turns to Captain du Couedic.

Has he evil designs on the Ears? 

When someone lives in a lighthouse, what might not they get up to?

But sea captains stick together.

He should warn Captain du Couedic of what's coming.

(Arthur, at night with a ladder).

(It's like Cluedo).

He readies himself for the journey. It doesn't take long.

Baby Glossy zigzags above Gaius.

All right up there? asks Gaius. I gather you're not used to flying.

I'm not, says Baby-Glossy. 

Why are you zigzagging? asks Terence.

Trois raisons, says Baby Glossy.

Three raisins, says Terence. That's a good answer.

Raisons, says Baby Glossy. And they are, un: I don't wish to get ahead of you, deux: I don't wish to get behind, trois: I wish to start counting nombres as soon as possible, and the zigzag is giving me a wider perspective.

Woop, says Terence. 

It's not woop, says Gaius. It's well reasoned. Have you seen any other birds yet, Baby-Glossy?

Deux Gang Gang Cockadeux, says Baby-Glossy. And un Rainbow Bee-Eater.

Gaius stops. 

Terence, hand me my notebook. It will be somewhere under your feet. And a pencil.

Terence yanks out a notebook, and Ronnie!

I'm broken, says Ronnie.

Boo-hoo, says Terence. Do you think it's my fault?

No, says Ronnie. Just saying. 

Drat! Broken! says Gaius.

I can sharpen a pencil, says Baby-Glossy. I learned it from Captain Baudin.

He has a collection of pencils? asks Gaius.

No, says Baby Glossy, he has un book on the subject. Give me the pencil.

Terence hands Ronnie to Baby-Glossy, who sharpens him to a point the like of which has rarely been seen on Kangaroo Island.


No comments: