Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Diluting The Prize

The general opinion is that they should allow 'at the left elbow'.

So we have our winner, says Vello. Who is it?

Sweezus looks at the sceeen.

I. M. says Sweezus. 

Email them, says Vello, and tell them they've won.

Sweezus sends I.M. an email.

Congratulations! You are the winner of  Velosophy's hidden bicycle competition. Please come into our office (during business hours), to claim your prize.

Done, says Sweezus. Now can I go?

Yes, says Vello. Enjoy your two day holiday.

No worries, says Sweezus.

He goes.

He doesn't have to play Candide this year, does he? says Belle. It might be more fun if someone else does it. More intriguing.

Who then? says Vello.

How about Terence? says David.

Very funny, says Vello.

I.M. has replied, says Belle.

She opens the email.

Wonderful news! I shall come in right away. Can't wait to receive my bottle of Baby Pierre's bath water. Regards. I. M.

The winner's coming right away, says Belle. Where's the bath water?

Drat! says Vello. I drank it all, remember?

But you've still got the bottle, says Belle. We'll just refill it.

Here, you do it, says Vello, taking the empty bottle out of the back pocket of his cycling jersey, which is draped over  a chair.

She goes off to do it.

Isn't that cheating? asks David.

No, says Vello. It is merely diluting the prize. 

Hm, says David.

Knock-knock! someone knocks on the door of the office.

Enter! says Vello.

A woman enters, wearing a voluminous skirt.

Iris Murdoch! says Vello. What are you doing here?

Claiming my prize, says Iris Murdoch.

Curses! thinks Vello


No comments: