Saturday, January 27, 2024

Plump Hand

We'll do without the twelve card players, says Vello. Six will do.

Three would do, says David. But we'd still have the same problem.

Why not get the audience involved? suggests Iris Murdoch.

That's a great idea, says Belle. All they have to do is sit there and look melancholy, and hold their marked cards. 

Very well, says Vello. And I shall do an introduction. 

Hopefully a short one, says Iris Murdoch.

In which, continues Vello, I shall incorporate the satirical remarks that must necessarily be dropped from scene one.

How clever, papa! says Belle. But you'll need to work on that introduction. So let's get on with scene two.

Am I in it? asks Terence, from under the stinky old jersey.

Not scene two, says Belle. Stay under the blanket.

Why am I under the blanket? asks Terence.

It's good that you asked, says Belle, but I'm about to rehearse scene two with Iris, so papa will explain it.

What's this? asks Vello.

Why is Terence under a blanket? asks Belle. He needs to know, for his character.

I'll explain it to him, says David. You get on with composing the introduction.

Thank you, David, says Vello.

Am I needed, in scene two? asks Gaius. 

Not really, says Belle. It's just me and Iris. But it would help if you could find me something to use as a garter.

Gaius starts rummaging through drawers. Rubber bands... string.... he can't imagine Belle approving....what do ladies like?

Come out, Terence, says David.

Terence comes out from under.

You are trying to trick Candide into believing that you are CunĂ©gonde, says David. 

Why? asks Terence. 

So he will give you his diamonds, says David.

Will he put them under the blanket? asks Terence.

No, says David. He will see your hand and shower it with tears before covering it with diamonds.

My plump hand! says Terence. 

Yes, your plump hand, says David.

So he knows it's me, says Terence.

No he doesn't, says David.

So why does he give me the diamonds? asks Terence.

Because he thinks it's Cunégonde, says David. But it isn't.

Who is it? asks Terence.

You, says David.

You should've just said so, says Terence.


No comments: