Sunday, January 14, 2024

The Green Elbow

Sunday.

Vello is in the office, looking for a knee brace.

Lauren comes in.

I hoped I'd find you here, says Lauren. It's done. Hidden.

My knee brace? says Vello.

What knee brace? says Lauren. I've hidden the bicycle in Gaius's video. It's all good to go.

Thank you Lauren, says Vello. Have you shown it to Gaius?

Not yet, says Lauren. I'm showing you first.

Of course, says Vello. I'll look at it as soon as I find this damn knee brace.

Bad knee? asks Lauren. You know I'm a stage two Reiki practitioner?

I'll be fine, says Vello. I don't hold with Reiki. 

Nietszche found it quite effective, says Lauren.

That's not what I heard, says Vello.

Is this it? asks Lauren, opening a drawer. This dirty old knee brace?

Yes! says Vello.

It's lost its elasticity, says Lauren. You should buy a new one.

Curses, says Vello. I need it for training this evening.

Let me help, says Lauren, pushing papers to one end of the desk. Lie down and relax with your knee up.

NO! says Vello. Just show me the video.

Okay, your loss, says Lauren. She shows him the video.

Where's the bicycle. asks Vello. I can't see it.

You're not supposed to, says Lauren

I am supposed to, says Vello. 

Blame your knee, says Lauren. The pain prevents you from focusing on finding the bicycle.

Just show me where it is, snaps Vello. And what's Ageless doing in the water? 

Impersonating Du Fresne, says Lauren. He was sitting in a bean bag, which was the closest thing to a canoe that they had in the library, and I photoshopped him in. Look hard.

Vello looks hard.

Lauren eyeballs his knee with an otherworldly expression.

His knee tingles.

Vello refuses to acknowledge the tingling.

But now! He sees part of a green wheel, jutting out from the left side of Ageless, like a green elbow.

I see it! says Vello. Excellent work, Lauren. 

Any time, says Lauren. Is there anything else? 

No, that will be all, says Vello.

What about the prize? asks Lauren. Baby Pierre's bath water. I could arrange it.

Vello had forgotten about the bath water, since his knee began hurting.

Do it! says Vello.


No comments: