Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Old Duffers

Gaius comes inside.

Right, says Gaius. A light lunch, and then afternoon training.

He has said this to himself, But Baby Pierre overhears him.

Can I come? asks Baby Pierre.

I don't see why not, says Gaius, opening the fridge to look for some cheese.

Curses. No cheese.

But there is a brown speckled banana. 

Brown skin means nothing. The banana tastes fine. 

On the window sill, Baby Pierre wheels his bike out from behind the aloe vera.

Ageless looks up.

He has been listening to Kobo telling him about the book she is reading.

It's about the 2011 Japanese earthquake and tsunami.

See you later! says Baby Pierre. I've got training, with Gaius.

Lucky you, says Ageless. 

The writer goes on a picnic, says Kobo. With a bear. The bear invites her. 

Baby Pierre is leaving, says Ageless.

Yes, goodbye Baby Pierre, take care on the roads. Now where was I? says Kobo. O yes, there are two picnics with the bear. The first is after the nuclear meltdown The second is before.

Are you trying to confuse me, my mischievous creampuff? says Ageless.

Not at all, says Kobo. And don't call me that. It's a literary device. The writer switches time frames to make a powerful point.

And what is that? asks Ageless. No wait, don't tell. me, I must speak with Baby Pierre.

Hurry up, I'm going, says Baby Pierre. 

Ask Gaius about the prize for the competition, says Ageless. Tell him you think there should be one.

I don't care if there isn't one, says Baby Pierre.

You should, says Ageless. Don't you want to be famous?

By winning races, says Baby Pierre. Not by finding a photo of part of a wheel of my own bicycle in a magazine that's only read by old duffers.

He's got a point, Ageless, says Kobo. Let him go. Now, you were asking me about literary devices.

No I wasn't, says Ageless. I was asking you what the powerful point was.

A comparison, says Kobo. A picnic post-nuclear meltdown compared with a picnic in pre-meltdown days.

I imagine the first one was better, says Ageless. Why don't we have a similar picnic, beloved?

I should like that, says Kobo. You can be the bear. You will catch a fish in the river, and eat it with bread and paté and radishes. I'll be the writer. I shall eat rice balls and pickles.

They imagine the scene. Fish. Grass, River. Pre-nuclear meltdown.

It's just like old times.


No comments: