Saturday, January 6, 2024

Sorrowful Beady Black Eyes

Ageless returns to his seat in the library.

Du Fresne has given the project his blessing, says Ageless.

That's great! says Belle.

Yes, says Lauren. And you're happy to pose in the beanbag?

As soon as I find my red knitted hat, says Ageless. Now, where is it?

You don't need a red knitted hat, says Lauren.

Du Fresne was wearing one, says Ageless.

I could photoshop a hat onto you, says Lauren. 

I prefer my own hat, says Ageless. 

Where is it? asks Belle.

I had it when I came in, says Ageless. And I don't recall taking it off.

Then it probably fell off while you were perusing the shelves, says Belle. 

Near the constellations, says Ageless. 

I'll go and look for it, says Belle. You get into the beanbag.

She goes off the the shelves marked Celestial Charts.

But there is no red knitted hat in that vicinity.

I'll take a look in lost property, thinks Belle.

Meanwhile Ageless is arranging himself in the beanbag.

A back view, I think, says Lauren.

I can hardly project pathos through a back view, says Ageless.

Who said anything about pathos? asks Lauren.

Du Fresne had been quietly slipping away, having realised he was moulting, says Ageless.

You're joking! says Lauren.

It's what he told me, says Ageless. And lobsters don't lie. 

So, a front view, says Lauren. Then we can see the pain in your expression.

Yes, says Ageless. And the resignation.

Resignation, exactly, says Lauren. Do you want to practise?

Ageless twists around in his beanbag. Composes his antennae and antennules to frame his black eyes.

His sorrowful beady black eyes.  

That's great! says Lauren, taking a picture. You look like a lobster with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

I have been there myself, many times, says Ageless.

In a canoe? asks Lauren.

Moulting at an inopportune moment, says Ageless. 

Belle returns with the red knitted hat.

Someone handed it in to lost property, says Belle.

Ageless puts his hat on.

Lauren frowns.

It covers his antennules, compresses his long antennae and obscures the top half of his eyes.

She wonders if Ageless could be convinced to roll up the brim.


No comments: