Tuesday, January 9, 2024

No Sticky Smooch

Ageless doesn't bother to get dry.

Why should he? He's a lobster. 

He climbs up to the window sill above the sink, where Kobo sits reading.

His beloved, clik-clik, his delectable fossilised clam. 

What do you want? asks Kobo.

I hear you've been pining, says Ageless.

Who said so? asks Kobo.

Never mind, says Ageless. I'm here now.

I have not been pining, says Kobo. If Gaius thinks I've been pining, he's wrong.

You must have shown some emotion, says Ageless. 

Not on the surface, says Kobo, but it's true I've been reading something that made me feel sad.

You must tell me, says Ageless.

It's about... begins Kobo.

But not right now, says Ageless. I'm feeling dejected myself. For many reasons. Number one, the usual....

Cancer the Crab, says Kobo. 

Yes, says Ageless. You always understand me. 

It's not hard, says Kobo.

Number two, continues Ageless, there is the video, in which I represented Du Fresne.

Did something go wrong? asks Kobo. 

Ageless tells Kobo the whole story, as he understands it.

So, says Kobo. The quoll gets a reward, while you get nothing. Poor Ageless.

A hug would be nice, says Ageless. Or a sticky smooch even better. Or what if I...

Ewww! GROSS! says Baby Pierre.

What are you doing here? asks Ageless 

I live here, says Baby Pierre. This is where I keep my bicycle.

Over there, says Kobo. Behind the aloe vera.

Yes, there is the tiny front wheel, sticking out.

Lauren took a photo, says Baby Pierre. For the competition.

I know, says Ageless. I know all about everything.

You don't know what Kobo's been reading, says Baby Pierre.

He's right, says Kobo. You don't. It was about the....

Never mind that, says Ageless. I think there should be a prize for that competition.

Kobo rolls her eyes, which are not outwardly visible.


No comments: