Thursday, January 25, 2024

The Fraudulent Lady

Vello calls Gaius.

Hello, says Gaius. Has anyone won the competition?

Yes, says Vello. Iris Murdoch.

That name rings a bell, says Gaius.

A fellow philosopher, says Vello. You've probably read some of her novels.

I doubt it, says Gaius.

I was wondering, says Vello, if you'd be available to take part in our play.

As the old woman? asks Gaius..

The old woman is not in this excerpt, says Vello. You could play the abbé.

I was planning to travel to Queensland, says Gaius.

What about the cyclones? says Vello.

I know, says Gaius. Most annoying. I suppose Sweezus is playing Candide.

If he returns in time, says Vello.

And Belle will play Cunégonde, says Gaius.

Cunégonde is not in it, says Vello. But there is a part for a lady who is not Cunégonde.

Who is the lady? asks Gaius.

The lady who is not Cunégonde, says Vello. A fraudulent person, under a blanket.

Surely Belle won't be playing that part? says Gaius.

No, she will play the Marchioness, says Vello. I thought Terence might play the false lady. He only has to poke out his hand.

I'm sure he'd enjoy doing that, says Gaius.

Excellent, says Vello. Rehearsal tomorrow. at nine am in my office.

We'll be there, says Gaius.


No comments: