Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Ethical Conundrums

Professor Buchan spoke about the ethical problems in securing enough healthworkers for a community. If there were not enough,it may well be unethical to poach them from somewhere else. On the other hand,it was certainly unethical to prevent health workers from going wherever they wished.

Fascinating, said Ageless under his breath. I do like ethical conundrums.

Baby Pierre was puzzled. Why did Ageless care about such things? Had he forgotten that he was a lobster, and would never grow old?

Doctor Lavender stood up.

Next year, he said, Australia will produce 2945 domestic medical graduates, of which South Australia will produce 285. It is not nearly enough.

He can tell the future, whispered Lavender. When it's over, I'm going to ask him a question.

Baby Pierre wondered what her question would be. Surely she wouldn't ask him if he was her daddy?

At the end of the speeches, questions were invited from the audience. Lavender went up to the microphone.

My question is for Doctor Lavender, she said loudly. Doctor Lavender, are you my daddy?

Doctor Lavender looked as though he was not often asked this question.

No, he said. And I consider that an inappropriate question.

My name is Lavender, said Lavender, and I can tell the future just like you. I absolutely definitely know you are going to be my daddy.

No, I am not, said Doctor Lavender. If you can tell the future, you ought to know that.

It's you who can't properly tell the future, said Lavender, her voice rising. I guess there won't be 2945 doctors next year after all.

Everyone laughed.

Lavender burst into tears.

Baby Pierre couldn't stand it.

Lavender, he said. You are a PAIN!

Are there any other questions? asked Doctor Lavender.

No comments: