Friday, August 19, 2011

Not Impervious

I've no love for sand, said Rabbie, as he plodded with Baby Pierre back up the beach towards Lavender and Ageless.

Ageless loves sand, said Baby Pierre. He's read a book about it.

A book about sand? said Rabbie. That sounds like possibly the most tedious book of all time, if ye don't mind me sayin' so.

I don't mind, said Baby Pierre. But remember, we're both made of sand.

Ye're right laddie, said Rabbie. Ye're a smart wee laddie. And Lavender, she's a smart wee lassie too.

We're on a quest, said Baby Pierre. To find the....

...the Immortal Jellyfish, I know, said Rabbie. But ye'll never find it on the shore.

Why not? said Baby Pierre.

Ye only find dead ones on the shore, said Rabbie. See? he added, kicking a kidney-shaped jelly-like blob that was lying on the sand. Ye need to go out on the water to catch a live one.

The jelly-like blob was furious. Watch it, he muttered. I'm not dead, you big lumbering muggins.

A jelly-like blob lying next to him nodded.

Fools they are, he said. Did you hear what they said? They're looking for some of our cousins.

They'll get no help from me, said the first blob.

Nor me, said the second.

And they don't like our sand, said the first.

I don't like it either, said the second. It sticks to my outside and scratches.

I like it, said the first. It never sticks to me.

Impervious, you are, said the second.

Not impervious, said the first, that's an incorrect use of the word.

Pedantic, said the second.

That's worse, said the first.

No, you are, said the second......


(Jellyfish conversations are always like this).














No comments: