Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Understanding Ethics

By the time they were walking down the Town Hall staircase Lavender had regained her composure.

That was horrible, she said, everyone was horrible, why did we have to go there?

I told you, said Ageless. I am interested in ethical and health issues.

Why? asked Lavender.

Baby Pierre wanted to kick her. Mainly because it was what he had wanted to ask.

Because, said Ageless, we have an aging population in this country.

But you're a lobster, said Lavender. So you don't care. None of us should care.

You don't understand ethics, said Ageless. Ethics is thinking about those who are different from you.

Like Frog, said Baby Pierre.

Ah yes, like young Frog, said Ageless. How is Frog by the way? I was wondering why he didn't come with you.

Baby Pierre couldn't believe it.

You don't remember? he spluttered. You dropped on him from a window ledge and killed him, on purpose.

Ageless looked shifty.

Did I? he said. Dear me. He was a plucky little tomato. But his time had come.

He was my best friend, said Baby Pierre.

Lavender giggled.

You don't understand ethics either, she said.

No comments: