Saturday, August 13, 2011

Opposite 293

It was early morning on the Esplanade at Henley when Lavender drew level with Number 293. She looked in amongst the rocks opposite. She saw a flat rock with a colourful jellyfish mosaic stuck to it. At the same moment, she saw Ageless and Baby Pierre.

Hello, said Lavender. You took your time.

Ha ha, said Baby Pierre. Looks like you only just got here.

I've been here all night, said Lavender, and I've found out lots of things.

Like how to get here, said Baby Pierre. You should have waited for us. Ageless knew where to come. Look Ageless. Lavender's here.

Lavender! said Ageless. I see you've found the Jellyfish Oracle all by yourself. Well done! Now Lavender. I don't suppose you know anything of the whereabouts of the statue of Rabbie Burns?

No, I don't, said Lavender. I don't know anything.

Excuse me! said a jellylike voice. But unless you have come to consult me, would you mind moving along.

Jellyfish Oracle! said Ageless. Don't you recognise me?

No, said The Jellyfish Oracle. Who are you?

Ageless Lobster, said Ageless, coming out from behind the book of sand and tin of biscuits, which he had been pushing in front of him ever since he got off the bus.

Oh, hello Ageless, said the Jellyfish Oracle. What's the book?

It's a book about Sand, said Ageless. It's very interesting. But these biscuits are just a liability.

Sand, said The Jellyfish Oracle. I should very much like to read that after you've finished with it.

Certainly , said Ageless. I shall be happy to lend it to you. It is due back at the library by the end of the month. Care for a biscuit?

No thanks, said the Jellyfish Oracle. Nice tin though.

Baby Pierre and Lavender looked at one another.

He knows him, said Baby Pierre.

That sucks, said Lavender.







No comments: