Friday, August 26, 2011

The Knowledgeable Fisherman

It was starting to get dark on the jetty. The lights had not yet come on. Baby Pierre hummed his Ballad to himself, and waited for something to happen.

He heard footsteps coming up behind him.

Hello, who have we here? said a voice.

Baby Pierre looked up and saw a fisherman, in a windcheater and a black beanie.

Are you the Knowledgeable Fisherman? asked Baby Pierre.

I have been called that, among other things, said the fisherman. Some people know me as Pliny the Elder, others call me Gaius.

Gaius! said Baby Pierre. Are you the Gaius who rode in the Tour de France?

I am, said Gaius. Of course, I didn't do very well, he added modestly.

You came fifth in the team time trials, said Baby Pierre.

Yes, but there were only six of us in the team, said Gaius.

But your time was the time that was counted, said Baby Pierre..

That's how it is, said Gaius. I was proud, though it meant very little.

And you must know Sweezus! said Baby Pierre. I hoped Sweezus would win.

So did he, said Gaius. But he didn't try hard enough. A nice enough chap. Funny name, don't you think?

He got that name from me, said Baby Pierre. I'm in a blog that he reads. One day I said "Sweezus!", to my friend Frog. Sweezus liked it and decided to use it as his Twitter name.

So you're Baby Pierre! said Gaius. I'm very pleased to meet you.

Likewise, said Baby Pierre.

I see you have the famous Mark of the Lobster Claw on your head, said Gaius.

Baby Pierre was ecstatic. At last! Someone who didn't think it was a tulip.

Would you like to stay and watch me fish? asked Gaius. I could do with some company.

Would I! said Baby Pierre.



No comments: