Friday, August 5, 2011

Not French, Not a Rabbit

Where can she be? said Ageless.

Who knows? said Baby Pierre. Perhaps she's decided to go to Henley tonight.

Would she do that? asked Ageless.

She would do anything, said Baby Pierre, if she felt like it.

She'll get lost, said Ageless. She won't know the way.

Her nose'll point her in the right direction, said Baby Pierre.

Is that her nose? said Ageless, surprised. The pointy end? I imagined it was the opposite.

Well, I say that, said Baby Pierre, but now you point it out....

Hee hee, laughed Ageless. Point it out! That's funny. Now, let's get some shut-eye. We'll find Lavender tomorrow.

.....

Meanwhile Lavender had sneaked out of the library and stopped at the foot of the statue of Robert Burns while she decided on a direction.

Hello, wee lassie, said Robert Burns. Where are ye off to, this chilly night?

Are you French? asked Lavender.

Noo lassie, I'm a Scot, said Robert Burns. They call me Rabbie.

You're a rabbit, said Lavender, uncertainly.

Silly wee girl, said Rabbie.

I'm going to Henley, said Lavender. Can you tell me the way? In English preferably.

Ye go west, said Rabbie. But 'tis a lang way.

How about showing me? said Lavender. I can't understand a word you say.

Noo lassie, I cannae show ye. I'm made o' stone.

Sheesh, said Lavender, and wandered off towards North Terrace, in the dark.

.....

Next morning, Ageless was woken by Baby Pierre, who hadn't slept a wink.

Happy Birthday Ageless, said Baby Pierre. You're two hundred and ninety one today. Get up.

Grrrrr,,,,,,click click,,,,,whaaat???? grumbled Ageless.

No comments: