Thursday, August 18, 2011

The Hole

Don't worry about coastal erosion, my friend, said Ageless. This whole coastline will soon be inundated by rising sea levels due to global warming. Someone is sure to move you before that happens.

But I like it here, said the Jellyfish Oracle. I don't want to be moved.

It won't be up to you, said Ageless. And it would be worse if they forgot.

The Jellyfish Oracle shivered, insofar as he was able.

Blubbblubb, he wept.

Show some backbone, Jelly, said Ageless.

Lavender appeared, having said goodbye for the second time to the Seagull Oracle.

Let's go down to the beach, she said. And search along the shore.

Yes, let's, said Ageless quickly. Goodbye Jelly. I'll be back in a couple of weeks to pick up my book.

Ageless, Lavender and Baby Pierre went down the steps to the beach.

Now Lavender, said Ageless, you mentioned a search. What exactly are we looking for?

The Immortal Jellyfish, said Lavender. You dope.

Excuse me! said Ageless. I am no dope. I just forgot that's all. What a shame, I could have asked Jelly about it.

Baby Pierre was speechless. Ageless had forgotten their quest! So he hadn't even asked Jelly about the Immortal Jellyfish! The quest was a failure.

He walked off down the beach by himself, idly looking for jellyfish. Suddenly he saw what looked like a man standing knee-deep in sand.

Hi there! said the man. Nice mornin' for a wee stroll along the shore! Have ye seen ma wee friend anywhere around here? She goes by the name of Lavender.

No, said Baby Pierre grumpily. Oh... yes I suppose so. Dig yourself up out of that hole and I'll take you to her.

I'm no in a hole, wee man, said Rabbie.



No comments: