Monday, January 6, 2014

Converging On The Pilbara

But Arthur does go out, on Gaius's bicycle, leaving Lu Ban ranting.

He'll pay for this, growls Lu Ban, biting off the head of his fifth or sixth red snake.

I think you'll find he won't, says Rosamunda. But it doesn't matter. I'll write the contract.

But who will sign it? says Lu Ban grumpily.

You, says Janice. Oh, you mean who else?

Yes little demon, says Lu Ban, heavily. My team disintegrates around me.

You can fix it, says Janice. You're the great Lu Ban, maker of the Dragon Bicycle, captain of Everlasting Dragons.

Gaius will sign it, says Rosamunda. As soon as he gets back from the Pilbara.

If he gets back, says Janice. He's gone with dad to look for three billion year old microbes.

Just three? says Lu Ban, puzzled

Three billion, silly, says Janice.

Lu Ban laughs. That Janice is a prankster.

What is this Pilbara? says Lu Ban. I shall go there.

Rosamunda looks up from the contract which she is writing on an empty page in Gaius's notebook.

You don't have time, says Rosamunda. You have commitments. There's the meeting with the premier...

Lu Ban goes where he wants to, says Lu Ban. And time is not a problem. I shall fly there. Just tell me where it is.

Ha ha, says Rosamunda. Very funny. I suppose you're thinking of that Wooden Bird. You didn't bring it.

I am the carpenter immortal, says Lu Ban. Architect, engineer, philosopher and soldier. Inventor of the cloud ladder. I can put together a Wooden Bird in no time. Who's coming with me?

Me! says Janice, forgetting that her dad is in the Pilbara.

Then she remembers that her dad is in the Pilbara.

Not me, says Janice.

Now she remembers that Arthur has gone to the Barossa. Just ridden off and left her. Selfish pig.

Yes, me after all, says Janice. Are you coming, Rosamunda?

No, says Rosamunda. I'll stay here and guard the Dragon Bicycle. This house has a broken window, remember.

It's all decided.

Lu Ban goes out the back with Janice, to build his Wooden Bird, while Rosamunda puts the finishing touches to the contract.

...........

Meanwhile, Professor Martin Van Kranendonk receives a call from Professor David Wacey.

Martin, says Professor Wacey. Have you heard from Gaius? Just asking.

No, says Professor Kranendonk. He's probably lost our numbers. He's a bit forgetful. And I don't have his. But I'm thinking I'll go up there anyway.

Rightio, says Professor Wacey. I don't have his number either. So I'll see you in Marble Bar tomorrow. Bring your umbrella.

Ha ha, says Professor Kranendonk. You mean my sunshade.

Geez, says Professor Wacey. What a time of year to be heading off up there........We must be crazy.

Yeah, says Professor Kranendonk. Rocks in our heads. See you tomorrow!



No comments: