Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Stage Two: Prospect to Stirling

Another day in the Tour Down Under, and the weather is perfect.

Lu Ban is determined to go slower this time.

Once he leaves Prospect, he will ride behind Gaius till they come to the Powerade Hydration Station in Woodside. Only then will he gather some speed.

That's the plan.

Go! Everyone rolls out of Prospect, heading for Gepps Cross.

Gaius is going at his usual pace, neither too fast nor too slow, just behind David and Vello.

Lu Ban struggles to keep a tight rein on the Dragon.

Stop bumping! says Gaius.

Sorry, says Lu Ban. It's not my fault.

Vello looks over his shoulder.

Lu Ban! says Vello. Didn't see you there behind Gaius. Come up here with us.

Lu Ban is pleased at the invitation. He speeds up to pass Gaius, thus already upsetting the plan.

Gaius tries to detain him, by grabbing Lu Ban's flapping jacket, but it is made of that slippery cotton.

Lu Ban draws level with David and Vello.

How are you liking the Tour? asks Vello.

It is difficult for someone like me to get used to, says Lu Ban. I am accustomed to going as fast as I wish.

Really? says David. Do you mean to say you could go faster?

There you have the nub of the problem, says Lu Ban. I can of course go faster. I have gone faster. No one saw me go faster. And so it avails me nothing.

Remarkable, says David. If a tree falls in the forest, tra la la.....

Ha ha! laughs Vello.

What do you mean? asks Lu Ban. And why is he laughing?

You don't know the saying? says David.

Do we go through a forest? asks Lu Ban. Perhaps then I will understand it.

We do, says David. We wind through the Hills. It's very scenic. Inglewood, Chain of Ponds, Gumaracha.

And Woodside? says Lu Ban. That's where my plan comes into action.

What is your plan? asks Vello. Just as a matter of interest, although it cannot concern us.

I speed up there, says Lu Ban. I pass Gaius.

But he is already behind you, says David. Not much of a plan.

Lu Ban looks over his shoulder.

Gaius is a speck in the distance.

I see what you mean, sighs Lu Ban. Already my Dragon begins to kick over the traces.

Wonderful image. says David. I suppose you are off then?

Nothing for it, but to be off then, says Lu Ban, gathering speed.

Soon he is a speck in the distance.

That's what I love about racing, says Vello.

Sweezus rides up, closely followed Arthur.

What do you love about racing? asks Sweezus.

Someone's always a speck in the distance, says Vello.

Arthur likes this.

You should write that down Vello, says Arthur. That's as good an observation as I've heard for a long time.

Worthy of our friend Richie Porte, eh? says Vello.

I have a bone to pick with you all about Richie, says David. I would not call him a genius. Competent yes, and his punctuation is excellent, but his thoughts are banal.

As if! says Sweezus. Banal! What do you reckon, Arthur?

Richie writes like a dream, says Arthur.

Sent me to sleep, mutters David.

Better get a move on, you boys, says Vello. Time's a wasting.

Sweezus and Arthur are soon little specks in the distance.

At Woodside they catch up with Lu Ban, who has stopped at the Powerade Hydration Station.

What's up, Lu Ban? enquires Arthur.

If a tree falls in the forest, says Lu Ban, tell me how does it end?

Arse up, says Sweezus.

They all three crack up laughing.

Diego Ulissi , Simon Gerrans and Cadel Evans flash by, heading for Stirling

This awakens the Dragon, and Lu Ban gets going.



No comments: