Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Trouble In The Microhabitat

The Wooden Bird lands in Gaius's garden, back in Adelaide.

Phew! says Janice, climbing out. It's really really hot!

But it's normal isn't it? says Olive Python. I hope so. Where are my ducks and fruit bats?

Give us a chance to go inside, says Janice.

The back window is still  broken. The back door unlocked.

Lu Ban, Janice and Olive Python go inside.

Rosamunda is sitting in the kitchen talking on the phone to Arthur.

Here they are now, says Rosamunda. I'll have to tell them.

What will you have to tell us? says Lu Ban. Where is my Dragon Bicycle?

Aaaah! cries Rosamunda, seeing Olive Python. It's a SNAKE!

Arthur on the other end is intrigued. A SNAKE . Perhaps he'll come back after all.

Don't worry, Rosamunda, says Janice. It's only Olive Python. She's very gentle.  She likes eating ducks and fruit bats.

Well, she's going outside, says Rosamunda.

She stays with me, says Lu Ban. She's my talisman.

Then you're going outside too, says Rosamunda.

It's not your house, Rosamunda, says Janice. You should call Gaius. He might like Lu Ban to keep Olive in his house.

Rosamunda makes a call to Gaius. She wants to talk to him anyway.

Ring Ring.

Gaius answers, from the Pilbara.

Shhh! says Gaius.  I'm observing.

Pardon? says Rosamunda. Do you realise Lu Ban and Janice have brought back a horrid Python. What are you observing?

Big Janis and I have spotted a Western Pebble-mound Mouse, says Gaius. Fascinating creature. It creates its own microhabitat.

A Western Pebble-mound Mouse! says Rosamunda. For goodness sake!  Are you still out there Gaius! You ought to be on your way home by now.

Did he find one? asks Olive Python, peering up at Rosamunda.

What? says Rosamunda. Get away from me, you slimy creature.

Pythons are not slimy, says Olive Python. Would you like to feel me?

Shut up, says Rosamunda. I'm talking to Gaius. What's that, Gaius?

They scatter pebbles outside their burrows, says Gaius. And in the morning the air temperature heats up faster than the pebbles do. This causes condensation to form on the pebbles. Water, which the little mouse can then make use of. One cannot help but think Nature is marvellous.

Yes, says Rosamunda. I mean no. Whichever is the answer. But Gaius, do you want a snake inside?

Oh yes, that will be Olive Python, says Gaius. She eats ducks and fruit bats. I'll be home tomorrow, Rosamunda. I really need to get my team in order.

Mm, says Rosamunda. See you then then.

Did you say then-then? asks Janice.

Yes what of it? says Rosamunda. It's perfectly grammatical. Where's Lu Ban gone?

Out to look for ducks, says Janice.

She and Rosamunda hear someone moving outside the back door

Arthur comes in, looking like someone who has been riding a bicycle in forty five degree heat with a hangover, and furthermore, who has a guilty secret.

This doesn't augur well for the new team.

No comments: