Saturday, January 11, 2014

Red Snakes Dragons Crabs Sea Monsters... Olive Python!

Soon everyone is chewing on red snakes. It seems there's no one in the world who doesn't like them.

Ha ha, laughs Professor Kranendonk. When you said 'any snakes?' Lu Ban, I thought you meant on Mars.

Me too, laughs Professor Wacey. As if that would happen.

No, says Lu Ban. I didn't mean that. But now we're on the subject, what about dragons?

Lu Ban is into dragons, says Janice. Every palace he designs, and even his new bicycle, they all have dragons on them.

Not on them, says Lu Ban, but incorporated into the essence of them. There is beauty in dragons. I got the idea originally from the Dragon King of the Eastern Ocean.

Oh I know, says Big Janice. I read about it. You went underwater to have a look at his Crystal Palace, and asked to borrow it for  three days.

You are well informed, says Lu Ban. But it's my story. Let me tell it.

Only trying to help, mutters Big Janis.

Go on, Lu Ban, says Professor Wacey. Tell it.

The Dragon King  had the Crystal Palace flown over by a team of dragons, says Lu Ban. Three days later they returned for it, but I needed more time. I'd nailed the Palace to the ground and the dragons failed to lift it. They returned to the ocean without the Crystal Palace.

The Dragon King would've been cross, says Janice.

Yes, Janice, says Lu Ban. He was angry. He sent more dragons, crabs, sea monsters. They had never seen a nail before, but they made an effort. Soon all the creatures gave up except the dragons, who kept straining to lift the Crystal Palace. Eventually the sun dried them out and they died from heat exhaustion.

So you got to keep the Palace? asks Professor Kranendonk.

No!  says Lu Ban. I found the dried out twisted bodies of the dragons so impressive that I tore up my blueprints and began drawing up new plans for a series of Dragon Temples which became my signature. Just one of the many reasons I'm immortal.

Well done, says Professor Kranendonk. But I can assure you there are no dragons on Mars. Not these days anyway. However, may I draw your attention to that python over there.....?

Crikey! A Pilbara Olive Python!

They stand up gingerly and tiptoe to the Toyota.

All except Gaius, who is there already.

No comments: