Thursday, January 2, 2014

What Sweet Tender Ankles

Janice and Shifty are getting on famously. But it's time to go. Shifty is hungry.

Janice stands up in the water.

Oh what sweet tender ankles. It is almost more than an ethical shark can resist.

Quick Shifty, get going. Look there's a surfer out there!

With a flick of his tail he is off.

Janice has no idea how nearly she has been eaten.

She walks back to her dad and the others, dripping drops of clear salty water on the sand.......

........

They are getting ready to go.

Packing empty containers back into Belle et Bonne's picnic basket.

Hi Dad, says Janice. I was floating.

Good on you, says Big Janis. That's my girl.

What's wrong Dad? says Janice.

He's got something to tell you, says Arthur.

Let him tell me, says Janice.

How would you feel about going to Western Australia? says Big Janice. It would be like a holiday.

Is Arthur coming? says Janice.

No, says Arthur. I've got the Tour. I've got to practice.

I'm not going, says Janice.

You'll come if I.....begins Big Janis.

Your daddy is coming with me to the Pilbara, says Gaius. Of course, if you don't wish to come....

PILBARA! shouts Janice. Dad, you can't go there!

It's an opportunity, sweetheart, says Big Janis. Gaius here wants a right hand man. And I'm qualified.

You're a landscape gardener, says Janice.

I know a lot about rocks, says Big Janis.

Janice can stay here with us, says Belle et Bonne. Until you come back. We'll look after her. You'd like that wouldn't you, Janice?

Janice looks smugly at Arthur.

Arthur examines his toe.

Why's Gaius going? says Janice. I thought he was a team captain.

We'll be back before the 19th, says Gaius. A flying visit.

Of course you will, says Belle et Bonne, picking up her basket. Well, is everything settled?

Yes! says Janice. Hurrah! I'm staying, Dad's going, Arthur's.....angry! What could be nicer?

You're funny, says Sweezus, who has been lying on the sand snoozing, and has just woken up. Why's it nice Arthur's angry?

That's between him and me, says Janice.

I see trouble, says Sweezus.

You can't say he isn't observant.



No comments: