Monday, January 13, 2014

The Irresistible Lure Of Ducks and Fruit Bats

Lu Ban climbs into the Toyota.

Hey! says Professor Wacey. What's that tied around your waist?

Lu Ban settles himself in the back seat and doesn't answer.

Could it be our friend the Olive Python? says Gaius.

Friend no longer, hisses Olive Python.

Oh! cries Janice. It's alive. It's talking.

This won't do, says Professor Kranendonk. Lu Ban, I must ask you to release the python back into the environment.

Lu Ban is still not talking. And his face is turning blue.

He can't, says Janice.

This is true. Olive Python is squeezing Lu Ban tighter and tighter. His eyes are nearly popping out.

He may need medical attention, says Big Janis.

He will, says Olive Python.

They drive back to Marble Bar, and stop outside the Ironclad Hotel.

Olive Python twists her head up to stare Lu Ban in the face. He stares back blankly.

He's dead, says Olive Python. Awfully sorry.

She releases Lu Ban from her python grip.

Lucky he's immortal.

He gets out of the Toyota, the colour gradually returning to his face.

Olive Python, says Lu Ban, you have scored a minor victory. I salute you. From now on you shall be my lucky talisman.

What does that entail? asks Olive Python. Is there food in it?

Ducks aplenty, says Lu Ban.

Fruit bats? asks Olive Python hopefully.

Yes, says Janice. Fruit bats. But no rock wallabies.

What do I have to do? asks Olive Python.

Come back to Adelaide with me and Janice in my Wooden Bird, says Lu Ban. Here it is. Get in.

Olive Python looks at the Wooden Bird. It seems to need refreshing.

It needs refreshing, says Lu Ban.

It does, says Janice. The vines and tendrils are all stiff and crispy and the heat has shrivelled up the pumpkins.

You won't find butternut pumpkins out here, says Gaius. You will need to improvise. Perhaps spinifex? Acacia? However, I will leave you to it. I must make an early start.

He goes inside the Ironclad Hotel.

I guess I'm making an early start too, says Big Janis. Though I'm blowed if I know what for.

He goes inside.

We'd better be going, says Professor Wacey. Lots to do.

Yes, very nice to meet you all, says Professor Kranendonk. I hope you feel you've learned something.

I did, says Janice. Lu Ban didn't need to. And we gained a python. Cool.

Lu Ban is busy stuffing spinifex grass and acacia twigs into the dry cracks of his Wooden Bird. What an architect!

Soon he and Janice and Olive Python are rising into the sky above the Pilbara.

Flying back to Adelaide, with Lu Ban's contract, signed in pencil.

No comments: