Monday, February 25, 2019

Bee Noises

It's me, says Arthur, talking a cold roll.

Heaven is high and earth wide, says Sikong Shu.

What's the filling? asks Arthur.

Chicken and bean sprouts, says Sikong Shu. Bitter between them flies my sorrow.

Arthur bites into the cold roll.

Endless longing breaks my heart, adds Sikong Shu.

Did you want this one? asks Arthur.

Of course not, says Sikong Shu. It's for you.

Okay, scene three, says Sweezus. Everyone eaten?

Yippee! says Terence. Scene three! I'm the grandchild! Someone fix my eyebrows.

What's wrong with them? asks Belle.

They're grandpa eyebrows says Terence. Now I need boy ones.

This might be a problem, says David. He's had them bleached.

This'll make them orange, says Terence. He picks up an orange.

Wait, says Belle. That's for Nobby.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Nobby, it's fifteen years in the future.

So why do I need an orange? asks Nobby.

You'll be playing the orange tree, says Belle. Sweezus and I were discussing it just now.

Nobby is excited. An orange tree! With an orange.

All the oranges from scene two will be Blu-tacked to you, says Belle. You've got plenty of Blu-tack on your paper leaves already.

It's true!

What about my eyebrows? asks Terence.

Sweet chili sauce should do it, says Vello.  Here's David's. He didn't use it.

I like my cold rolls plain, says David. Why spoil a perfectly good prawn and cabbage cold roll?

Cool. Chili sauce and Blu-tacked oranges, says Sweezus. Let's do it.

Belle smears chili sauce on Terence's eyebrows while Elodie Blu-tacks the oranges to Nobby.

Right. Places! says Sweezus. Costa, it's you.

Arthur walks to his position. He gestures towards the oranges Blu-tacked to Nobby.

Fifteen years ago, says Costa, an orange tree wouldn't have survived in this position. Now it's too warm for hydrangeas.

Is that so? asks Sweezus.

Sure is, says Costa. Ask the native bees.

An orange drops to the ground as Nobby twists to looks for native bees to ask about hydrangeas.

They're not secure enough, says Nobby.

Use toothpicks, says Gaius.

Toothpicks! snorts Vello. No one uses tooth picks!

I do, says Gaius. In fact I have just been using one to remove some coriander which was lodged in my teeth.

Nobby is alarmed. A used toothpick! He doesn't want to look precious by refusing, but perhaps if he changes the subject....

Will there be real bees? asks Nobby.

Will there? asks Vello.

I though we could just do bee noises, says Belle. Saves trouble.

Boo! says Terence.

Bzzz, says Celia.

I wasn't beeing , says Terence. I was booing.

But that was a good bee imitation, says Gaius. Well done, Celia.

Thank you, says Celia. Is it time for our orange dance? Saint Roley and I have been practising.

I guess so, says Sweezus. Terence you're in the middle. Where's your string?

I lost it, says Terence.

Here's some, says Sikong Shu. I always carry it.

Terence moves into position, and the orange dance commences.


No comments: