Friday, February 22, 2019

Sacred To Apollo

Arthur pulls Nobby on the trolley to the Velosophy office.

Thanks Costa, says Nobby.

I'm not Costa, says Arthur.

What about that advice you gave the head gardener? asks Nobby.

Made it up, says Arthur.

He's just Arthur, says Terence. That's not his real hair. This isn't my real hair either.

I know that, says Nobby. It's a costume.

Nobby wonders if he will get hair.

Before you slope off, Arthur, says Vello, we need to get Nobby upstairs.

I wasn't going to slope off, says Arthur. Unless Sikong Shu's still up there.

He sprints up the stairs and opens the door a slim crack.

He hears the following:

Elodie: Baby jumping spiders suckle spider milk from their mothers. It has nearly four times the protein of cow's milk.

Gaius: I didn't know that!

Elodie: It was in Spider News.

Gaius: I must subscribe to it. Ouch!

Elodie: Are you feeling any better?

Gaius: I'll be all right. It was too thin a cushion.

Arthur goes in.

Arthur, says Sweezus. Play's finished! It ends with an orange dance.

Who does it? asks Arthur. Not me?

No, not you, says Sweezus. The birds do it while Terence holds the strings.

Sounds good, says Arthur. Has Shu gone?

Yes and no, says Sweezus.

But he's not here right now, says Arthur.

Not right now, says Sweezus. He's gone for a cold roll.

Because, says Arthur we've come back for the dress rehearsal and brought a curtain.

Yeah, the bush, says Sweezus. Where is it?

Downstairs, says Arthur. It's heavy. We need a hand.

Wanna go, Gaius? asks Sweezus.

What's this? says Gaius. The curtain? I'd like to help but my back tells me not to risk it.

I'll go, says Elodie.

She goes down the stairs with Arthur.

Vello, David, Belle and Terence are waiting.

This is Nobby, says Terence. He's can't get upstairs.

I've got some of Shu's string, says Elodie.

She ties it round the rim of the pot that holds Nobby.

That's clever, says Belle. Four loops, that means four of us can lift it.

Exactly, says Elodie. That's the efficacy of string.

They lug Nobby up the stairs and into the office.

This is the moment that Gaius sees Nobby.

A Laurus nobilis! says Gaius.

I'm NOBBY! says Nobby. I'll be playing the curtain.

You are sacred to Apollo, says Gaius. You should not be used for profane purposes.

These are modern times, says Nobby.

True, says Gaius. I was being old fashioned. Welcome!

Phew! An unexpected obstacle, avoided.

No comments: