Thursday, February 28, 2019

Better Hope They Don't Come

Next morning.

You'll have to take him, says Belle.

Okay, says Sweezus. He can help me hand out fliers.

So Terence goes with Sweezus to Rundle Mall to hand out fliers.

Celia and Saint Roley have flown to the venue, to hang out with Nobby.

There he is, says Celia.

They land on the fence, in the north eastern corner of the Botanic Gardens.

There is a loud roar of V8 car engines drifting in from the city.

Hello, says Nobby. Glad to see you. I'm feeling nervous. And I'm worried about my double role.

It's a small space, says Saint Roley. I wonder how many people are coming?

We don't know. And where will they sit? asks Celia.

Up against the fence, says Nobby. But that's where the spades are.

There must be a hundred, says Celia, eyeing the spades.

So Vello's expecting a hundred people, says Saint Roley. Now I'm feeling nervous.

He and Celia sit on the fence feeling nervous.

Nobby sits in his pot, by the hole he came out of, which is the sink hole, in which most of the action takes place.

The V8 engines roar even louder.

Vello and David are not far away, at the Superloop Adelaide 500, formerly the Clipsal.

I hate the Clipsal, says Vello. Why are we here?

Free tickets, says David. We should have given them to Sweezus and Arthur.

Then WE'D be handing out fliers, says Vello.

Actually, I've brought some, says David.

He pulls a few out of his pocket, and flaps them at Vello.

Go on then, says Vello. You start handing them out. I'll gauge the reaction.

David approaches a couple, in red and black racing fan outfits.

Candide's Garden, says David. Show's on tonight in the Botanic Gardens. You'll see Costa.

Costa! says the woman. I love Costa. What time?

David looks at the flier.

Eight pm.

We'll be there, says the woman, taking a flier.

Her partner looks confused. Like he's never heard of Costa.

They go off to the beer tent, to discuss it further.

That was easy, says Vello.

Yes, says David. Easy. How many seats have been sold?

About twenty, says Vello.

Well I've done my bit, says David. What say we give up on this noisy car race and hop on a bus to the beach? It's forty degrees already.

Good idea, says Vello. We need to cool down and relax.

They head for the bus stop.

It's outside Target. Near where Sweezus and Terence are handing out fliers.

Hi, says Sweezus. I've almost run out of fliers.

Excellent, says Vello.

Their bus comes. David and Vello get on.

I didn't tell him why, says Sweezus to Terence.

We wrecked them, says Terence.

YOU wrecked them, says Sweezus.

They were SPADES, says Terence. Because I'm giving out spades.

They didn't even look like spades, says Sweezus. They looked like bent paper spoons.

But I SAID they were spades, says Terence. I even told the people they'd get one.

Which was incorrect, says Sweezus. The spades have to go back to Bunnings. You'd better hope those people don't come.

I hope they DO, says Terence.

What's the point otherwise?

No comments: