Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Is There Good In The World?

You always keep string handy,? says Arthur. Since when?

Poetic licence, says Sikong Shu. But today I had string in my pocket.

Do you want it back? asks Arthur.

I still have one end, says Sikong Shu.

And she's following it up, observes Arthur.

Sikong Shu feels a tug on the string.

The other Marilyn!

She is dragging her blue rubber ring up the sand under the jetty towards Arthur and the culprit.

She drops down beside Sikong Shu.

What was THAT about? asks Marilyn.

A diversion, says Sikong Shu, winding the string round his forearm and elbow.

The blue ring recedes once again.

I'm not going after it this time, says the other Marilyn. I'm alert to your tricks now.

Suit yourself, says Sikong Shu. But please keep your mouth shut while I importune Arthur.

He doesn't want to go camping, says the other Marilyn. Why don't you leave him alone?

I can't forget him, says Sikong Shu. And how we fought with sharpened bamboo sticks, on Mount Mentougu.

Who won? asks the other Marilyn.

Neither of us, says Sikong Shu. We both bled profusely.

Fools, says the other Marilyn.

You wouldn't understand, says Sikong Shu.

Try me, says the other Marilyn.

Arthur is about to interrupt at this moment, but he doesn't.

His phone rings. It's Sweezus, who has returned to the office.

What's up? asks Arthur.

Is there some good in the world? asks Sweezus.

Why ask me? says Arthur.

Come on man, says Sweezus. This is freaking philosophy. The play. I should've I'd left them to it.

Vello and David? asks Arthur.

Yeah, Vello and David, says Sweezus. They want more philosophy and less gardening. Help me come up with something

Arthur thinks. Absinthe is good. So is surfing. So is finding the phrase that you want. Such as 'lichens of sunlight and mucus of azure', or 'long violet clots' or 'blue wine and vomit'......

But this won't help Sweezus.

He looks sideways at Sikong Shu who is explaining the ins and outs of fighting with bamboo sticks to the other Marilyn.

Her eyes are shining.

String, says Arthur.

Bullshit, says Sweezus. String? That's a good?

Just seen it happen, says Arthur.

He edges away from the shade under the jetty and walks back to his bicycle, unspotted.

If he's wise, though, he won't forget that disguise.


No comments: