Wednesday, January 1, 2020

Hard To Talk In The Air

Captian Bruni has swabbed out the galley.

Terence has recovered his toes.

They are now in his shorts pocket, washed and dried, and waiting for fish glue.

I'm just going to pop over and see Captain Kermadec, says Captain Bruni.

What about us? asks Terence.

Wait here, says Captain Bruni. Arthur knows where you are.

He picks up the exploded packet of trail mix, and the ribbon.

Are you taking that to Captain Kermadec? asks Jinjing.

Yes, says Captain Bruni. What's left of it.

He heads off down the marina, tying the ribbon as he goes.

Now what? says Terence. We're stuck here.

Wait for Arthur, says Jinjing.

I'm not waiting for Arthur, says Terence. I'm waiting for Gaius.

Gaius and his fish glue, says Jinjing. Arthur doesn't know about your toes, though.

Wah! says Terence. They might not come for AGES!

They'll have to, says Jinjing. They're both in a bike race. They need to get back to Adelaide.

They'll forget! wails Terence. Can we call them?

No, says Jinjing. We don't have a phone.

I need a parrot! says Terence.

I'm a parrot! says Jinjing.

A proper parrot, says Terence.

What would the proper parrot do? asks Jinjing.

Fly to Gaius with a message, says Terence. And then come back with a message.

I can do that, says Jinjing. But I don't think I should leave you.

I do, says Terence. I can't go far with no toes.

You've got eight toes, says Jinjing. And it didn't stop you rowing.

I'm not rowing again EVER, says Terence. I'll sit here and look at the sky till you come back.

Okay, I'll go, says  Jinjing. It should take me an hour.

Don't forget me, says Terence

I won't forget you, says Jinjing.

He takes off in the direction of Bruny Island.

Flying, flying.

Berp! Bird alert !

Another parrot is flying towards him.

It's P. krameri!

Um. Hard to talk in the air.

The ferry is below them. Well, nearly. Just a slight diversion. They land on a railing.

P. krameri: Where have you been?

Jinjing: On board the Esperance, with Terence and Captain Bruni.

P. krameri: I have a message.

Jinjing: So do I have a message.

P. krameri: My message is that Gaius and Arthur will be back on the next ferry.

Jinjing: That's the answer to my message!

P. krameri: The answer? What was your message?

Jinjing: Please come back on the next ferry. I need fish glue. Love from Terence.

P. krameri: That doesn't sound like Terence.

Jinjing: I composed it. But he does need the fish glue

P. krameri: You go ahead then. Check that Gaius has packed the fish glue. He was having a clear-out this morning.

Jinjing: Okay, and you go and give Terence the message.

P. krameri: Will do.

They rise and fly off in opposite directions.

.....

Terence sits on the deck of the Esperance.

P. krameri lands before him.

That was quick, says Terence. And you turned into a proper parrot! Give me the message.

No comments: