Friday, January 24, 2020

Tour Down Under: Norwood to Murray Bridge - Wet Lucky

Before the race. Norwood.

Terence runs up to Sweezus.

Did you find it?

Not yet, says Sweezus. Let's hope it turns up by Sunday.

Someone's got it, says Terence. I'll do a Fu-wen.

You do that, says Sweezus.

Fu-wen! shouts Terence.

Jinjing flies up quickly.

Oi! Who's that for?

The robber, says Terence.

It's not for robbers, says Jinjing. Only demons.

Too bad, says Sweezus. Anyhow, I'd better get going.

Bang! The race rolls out of Norwood.

Helicopters buzz overhead. Some people don't even hear them, they are so busy, but most people do.

The teams cycle through the Adelaide Hills.

Team Philosophe take their ease at the back of the peloton.

Kierkegaard is extolling the benefits of walking.

I have walked myself into my finest ideas, says he.

Have you? says David. What are they?

Life can only be understood backwards, says Kierkegaard. But it must be lived forwards.

I've heard that before, says Vello.

Of course you have, says Kierkegaard. It just proves my point.

Were you walking backwards when you said it? asks Gaius.

What? says Kierkegaard. No, I don't think so. In fact I know so. What made you ask?

I was jesting, says Gaius.

Ah! Backwards. Ha ha, laughs Kierkegaard.

David reaches into his pouch and brings out four Power Bars.

Team Philsophe fuel up on Power Bars, and get seriously moving.

The hills are behind the teams now; they are riding towards Murray Bridge.

Richie is struggling with the crosswinds.

Hmm. So he is probably not the one with the Lucky.

But he maintains his overall lead.

So maybe he is.

On the other hand, Caleb Ewan wins, in a thrilling finish.

Could it be that blue thumb which he got when he grabbed the wet Lucky?

Although surely the blue smear has been washed off by now.

One thing's for sure.

Sweezus doesn't have it.


No comments: