Monday, January 6, 2020

The Space On Her Lap

Hammer and nails! says Terence. Are you trying to kill me?

No, says Arthur. I've had an idea.

What is it? asks Terence.

Make two nail holes at the end of your foot, says Arthur. Then make a hole in each toe. Insert the nails into the toe holes, and hey presto.

You don't know nails, says Terence.  There's a fat end and a sharp end.

He's right, says Gaius. How would you get around that?

Make the holes in foot bigger, says Arthur.

Then my toes will be loose! says Terence. Are you stupid?

Better if they are, says Arthur. I thought this was a trial.

Perhaps we should try taping the toes on, says Gaius. Less invasive. Did you see any tape in the hatches?

I'll look, says Arthur.

He goes.

Woo! says Terence. You saved me. You're better than the Virgin.

Am I? says Gaius. How so?

She just sits there, says Terence.

And doesn't intervene? says Gaius.

There's me, running, says Terence. Wah! Wah! There's Saint Joseph coming after me with a hammer. There's her, watching the space on her lap.

Space? says Gaius.

Where I should be, says Terence.

Dear me, says Gaius. And how does it finish?

He trips, says Terence.

Maybe she trips him, says Gaius. Does he run past her?

No, says Terence. He trips on a parrot. That's why we have parrots.

Nice story, says P. krameri.

Arthur comes back with a roll of grey duct tape.

It's rather wide, observes Gaius. Ideally, it should be toe width.

No worries, says Arthur. I've also brought scissors.

Hurry up, says Terence. My toes ar getting nervous.

And it's true. They are.

Even if the duct tape is trimmed down to toe width, how will they see?


No comments: