Thursday, January 16, 2020

Otherwise Unscathed

Philip comes back.

Did you get my blue paint? asks Terence.

Nej, sorry, says Philip. I was checking up on that Israel team. To see where they were heading.

You don't have to do that, says Sweezus.

You don't know me, says Philip.

Okay, says Sweezus. No worries. Let's finish our coffee and get going. We'll ride to Noarlunga.

What about Terence? asks Arthur.

What about my blue paint? asks Terence.

Sweezus is the team captain. It's his problem to resolve.

How about you wait here in the café until Gaius comes to get you? says Sweezus. I'll call him.

By myself? says Terence. Yay! Can I have a cupcake?

Sure, says Sweezus. And you can choose it.

Terence runs over to the counter to choose himself a cupcake.

Sweezus calls Gaius.

Yes? says Gaius. What is it?

Could you come and get Terence? says Sweezus. We're at Cibo's in Henley.

Why can't he come home with you? asks Gaius.

We're not coming home yet, says Sweezus. Arthur, me and Philip need to bond as a team.

That's all very well, says Gaius, but so do we. Vello, David, Sören and I are about to ride from Woodside to Stirling. Can't Terence stay with you?

Nah, says Sweezus. He's choosing a cupcake and he's excited. What about Belle?

Watching the women's race, says Gaius. Don't worry. I'll send someone.

Cool, says Sweezus. Tell them to bring some blue paint.

Terence comes back having chosen a Neapolitan cupcake with red icing, but not having paid for it.

Money! says Terence.

Philip gives him five dollars.

Terence goes back to pay for the cup cake, and returns with it, on a small plate.

Okay, says Sweezus. Gaius is sending someone.

Who? asks Terence.

Dunno. And they're bringing blue paint.

Yippee! says Terence. Give me Lucky.

So Terence is left in the café, with Inanimate Lucky, and a Neapolitan cup cake, waiting for someone to turn up with blue paint,

This may seem irresponsible, until one remembers that Terence has been on his own before, when he travelled to Melbourne with Grandpa Marx for the Marxist Conference, and got lost, and met a group of ill-intentioned people, who stole his hat but left him otherwise unscathed.


No comments: