Thursday, January 9, 2020

The Sound Of A Legend

Katherine and Margaret step on board the Esperance.

Welcome dear ladies, says Captain Bruni. You'll find your friends below decks, in the galley.

Good, says Margaret. We've brought toe bandages for Terence. How is he?

In fine form, says Captain Bruni.

Katherine and Margaret make their way down the wooden steps to the galley.

Hello Katherine, says Gaius. How was your trip? Excellent no doubt. Here is Terence, recovering nicely. Now that you're here, Arthur and I will be going.....

Gaius! says Margaret. I was hoping to show you my sedimentary samples containing zircon minerals, matching those found in Montana and Idaho.....

And I have some wild wasabi cheese to give you, says Katherine.

Unfortunately Arthur and I are in a hurry, says Gaius. We must leave at once, in order to cycle to Hobart and catch our flight to Adelaide.

Why the haste? asks Katherine.

New team members, says Arthur. We've got to meet them to bond and talk tactics.

That silly race, sniffs Margaret.

Gaius does not take the bait.

Terence, show Margaret your toes, says Gaius.

Terence doesn't want to.

Sit up on this table, says Margaret. I've got a mesh toe bandage, which straps on round your foot, and tape that won't hurt when you pull it off.

No, says Terence. I've got duck tape. See the pokey fold at the corner that looks like a beak? Sometimes it quackles.

Is that DUCT tape? says Margaret.

No, says Terence.

Yes it is, says Margaret. I'm surprised at you, Gaius.

He didn't want nails, explains Gaius.

He won't have any nails when you rip off that duct tape, says Margaret.

I'm sure you'll manage, says Gaius. They're cement toe nails remember. In fact he may not have had toe nails in the first place. I don't recall seeing them.

Wah! cries Terence.

But we must go, says Gaius. Come on Arthur.

I'll just finish charging my phone, says Arthur.

Good, says Katherine. So you have a few minutes. Here is the cheese. I'll give it to you, Arthur. Gaius would probably lose it.

Thanks, says Arthur.

He looks at his phone. Eighty percent charged. And two messages from Sweezus.

First message: Intvwd team phil new mber s kkgd frkn amateur!

That's good. Sweezus has interviewed Team Philosophe's new member Sören Kierkegaard and judged him an amateur.

Second message: Met our new guy dead set legend!!

Which Arthur does not like the sound of.


No comments: