Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Immortal But

Ageless has arrived.

He has come on the bus.

Welcome Ageless! Come in, says Gaius.

Water, croaks Ageless.

Gaius fills a glass with water from the tap.

Where is my beloved? asks Ageless.

Here, says Kobo. That is, if you mean me.

See how she treats me, says Ageless. As if we weren't lovers.

Don't drink the water, says Kobo. It's hot.

I forgot, says Gaius. I'll get you some cold water from the fridge.

See how I well treat you, says Kobo.

My delicious creamy cream puff, says Ageless. Let me climb up and embrace you.....

Sören appears from the bathroom where he has been busy.

Will these do? asks Sören.

What are they? asks Gaius.

Home made microplastics, says Sören. I used a discarded plastic bottle and a razor blade that I found in a container under the sink.

Gaius inspects the home made microplastics.

Some are long and curly, others are short.

A good effort, says Gaius. But I should point out that you have increased the total number of microplastics in the environment unneccessarily.

Just saving time, says Sören.

Gaius lets that pass.

This is Ageless lobster, says Gaius. Ageless, meet Sören Kierkegaard.

Sören Kierkegaard! says Ageless. I have long admired your philosophical teachings.

Which ones in particular? asks Sören.

Life is best understood backwards, says Ageless. But it must be lived forwards.

And has it helped you? asks Sören.

Not me, says Ageless. We lobsters are immortal.

You don't say? says Kierkegaard. But I have eaten many a lobster.

Immortal in that our bodies regenerate ad infinitum, says Ageless. Of course there are always unexpected mishaps.

I see, says Kierkegaard. So you never look back on your life because you're immortal. And you can't look back if you die accidentally because then it's too late.

You do understand me, says Ageless.

So do I, says Kobo.

Now then, says Gaius, philosophy aside, does anyone know when the next low tide is? I thought we might try raking for sand crabs.

It's at 2.11 pm today, says Ageless. I don't recommend it. Too hot. Next one is at 2.15 tomorrow morning.

Drat this hot weather, says Gaius. But you're right Ageless. We need to consider the sand crabs' disposition.

Let us spend the rest of the day working on our microplastics, says Kierkegaard.

Yes, says Gaius. We'll start with the ones that are long and curly.


No comments: