Sunday, January 5, 2020

Understanding Toes

On board the Esperance, Terence tries to make friends with his toes.

It wasn't my fault, says Terence. 

Wasn't how? ask the toes.

They speak in unison. And ask shortish questions.

Wasn't what how? asks Terence.

Wasn't your fault how, say the toes.

Thanks for understanding, says Terence. 

Ha ha! laughs P. krameri. 

What's funny? asks Terence. 

Toes understanding, says P. krameri.

We don't understand, say the toes.

This was going all right till you laughed, says Terence.

Sorry, says P. krameri. I'll go onto the pontoon and wait for Gaius.

He goes.

Soon you'll get stuck back on to me with fish glue, says Terence.

Does it have to be you? ask the toes.

It has to be me, says Terence. But if you like, you could swap places. I'll ask Gaius.

Super! say the toes.

Two bicycles trundle along the pontoon and stop at the Esperance gangplank.

Greetings, P. krameri, says Gaius. How is Terence?

Chipper, says P. krameri. Making jokes.

Jokes? says Gaius. Did you hear that, Arthur?

No, says Arthur. I was thinking about Team Condor.

Terence is making jokes, says Gaius. But his balance must be impaired. The sooner we get the fish glue the better.

They board the Esperance and enter the cabin.

My toes want to change places, says Terence.

Let me see them, says Gaius. 

These are them, says Terence.

One is slightly larger than the other, says Gaius. I don't advise it.

Let's just try, says Terence.

All right, says Gaius. We'll try it out while we wait for the fish glue. I wonder if Captain Bruni has anything suitable.

I'll have a look, says Arthur. 

He opens various hatches.

And comes back with a hammer and nails.


No comments: