Friday, May 8, 2020

E-mew

Arthur comes in with a breakfast bowl.

You left this on the beach, says Arthur.

My old home! says Alexander-Red-Hook. Thank you Arthur. But now circumstances are different.

Yes, Arthur, says Gaius. The experiment is aborted. You and I will go bird-spotting. That is, if you're free.

I'm going, too, says Lauren. It's something to do, while the shop's closed.

Birds? says Arthur.

Parrots, says Terence.

Not parrots this time, says Gaius. The stipiturus malachurus intermedius.

Cool name, says Sweezus.

Otherwise known as the Fleurieu Peninsula southern emu-wren, says Gaius. They are endangered, but there are reports of pairs being spotted in the local swamp habitats.

An emu-wren? says Belle. How does that work?

I know! says Terence. It says E-mew!

I don't believe that for a minute, says Belle.

Marie, who came in behind Arthur, has googled the wren on her smart phone.

This is what they look like, says Marie.

Belle, Sweezus and Lauren crowd round Marie's phone.

Show me, says Terence. Hey! A parrot!

Let me see, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

No one lets her.

But it isn't a parrot.

It's so tiny! says Belle. And so cute! Russet and sky blue, with long wispy tail feathers.

Hence the name, says Gaius. Take a look, Arthur.

But Arthur's knee is bleeding, and Lauren has noticed.

Arthur probably shouldn't go bird watching, says Lauren. Not in the swamps.

Arthur agrees.

We're taking the crabs home tomorrow, says Belle.

Yeah, says Sweezus. Back to work. Got to work from home, the boss says.

Am I coming? asks Terence.

You could stay here and help Gaius, says Sweezus.

He has been quite helpful, says Gaius. Would you like to stay, Terence?

I need a balloon, says Terence.

I've probably got one, says Lauren.


No comments: