Sunday, May 10, 2020

In The Freezer He Froze

Lauren has not found a balloon.

It is just as well really.

It wouldn't have helped Alexander-Red-Hook to fly.

Instead Lauren has given Terence a knotted string basket originally intended to hold hanging plants.

Gaius is helping Alexander-Red-Hook to get into it.

Oops. Not that hole, says Gaius. You've already got one leg in there.

It's like gloves, says Kierkegaard.

Or trousers, says Gaius.

Alexander-Red-Hook tries to pull one of her legs out.

Watch out! says Terence.

I am, says Alexander-Red-Hook. I'll tell you this much. Once I'm in this, I'm staying put.

Can you walk in it? asks Terence.

I don't know yet, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Why?

Because I'm not carrying you everywhere, says Terence.

I thought that was the idea, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

I don't usually carry a parrot, says Terence. They fly away and get things.

I bet your balloon parrot didn't, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

No it didn't, says Terence.

Are we ready? asks Gaius.

Yes, says Kierkegaard.

No, says Lauren. I've just had a government message to say I can re-open my shop.

Bad luck, says Gaius. We shall have to leave without you.

And how will you do that? asks Lauren. We were going to go in my car.

Do you have any spare bicycles? asks Gaius.

Only one, says Lauren.

It's a problem.

Knock knock. It's Victor the policeman.

Hello, says Victor. I'm very surprised at you, Lauren.

Why? asks Lauren.

Shredded crab and egg mayonnaise, says Victor.

Oh that, says Lauren. Waste not want not.

That crab was ALIVE, says Victor.

Not when I shredded him, says Lauren.

He didn't want to go back to Henley, says Alexander-Red-Hook. He hid in an icecream container. Someone put him into the freezer. He froze.

Victor looks sceptical.

But why would a fellow crab lie?

He lets it go. No pen anyway.

Leaving? asks Victor.

Yes, says Gaius. But we may have to wait for a bus. Lauren only has one bicycle.

I have two bicycles back in Goolwa, says Victor. Can I give you a lift?

Very kind, says Gaius.

Anything to get rid of you, says Victor.

Then he says: Only kidding.

No one believes him.


No comments: