Tuesday, May 12, 2020

First Step To Becoming

Goolwa.

Victor has brought out the bikes.

They are covered in cobwebs.

Never mind, says Gaius. We'll just wipe them down.

The chains might need oiling, says Victor.

Do you have any oil? asks Gaius.

Victor enters the police shed, and comes back with a bottle of oil and a cloth.

He hands them to Gaius, who hands them to Terence.

What? says Terence.

A good learning experience, says Gaius.

But I'm holding my parrot, says Terence.

I'll hold her, says Kierkegaard.

You do that, says Gaius. I'll supervise Terence. You go to the bakery.

I could leave the parrot here, says Kierkegaard.

I'll be busy working out our route, says Gaius.

Very well. Kierkegaard sets off with the parrot.

He swings her, in the knotted string basket.

Could you stop doing that? says Alexander-Red-Hook. I'm not used to that sort of motion.

Sorry, says Kierkegaard. I find I think of you as a parrot.

Even a parrot would object, says Alexander-Red-Hook. A parrot prefers it's own motion.

That shows a degree of empathy with parrots, says Kierkegaard. The first step to becoming one.

It's merely a role play, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Don't read too much into it.

Kierkegaard holds the string in two places to limit the swinging.

They arrive at the bakery on the corner of Dawson and Loveday.

They go in.

There is a well-spaced queue of customers.

Kierkegaard stands at the back.

He has plenty of time to think about what he will buy.

Four German rolls and a Danish. No, two Danishes, Gaius might like one. What about Terence? He doesn't eat......or does he?

Does Terence eat? asks Kierkegaard.

Remember when he choked on an apple? says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Right, says Kierkegaard. What shall we get him?

Hold me up to the display counter, says Alexander-Red-Hook.

Not yet, says Kierkegaard.

A child goes out with a paper bag.

Can I have it NOW? asks the child.

Not yet, says her mother.

What's in the bag? asks Alexander-Red-Hook as the child is passing.

A Funny Face, says the child. And why are you talking?

I'm a parrot, says Alexander-Red-Hook. We never stop talking.

The child thinks of several more questions.

But her mother has left the bakery, and there's no time to ask them.


No comments: