Thursday, May 7, 2020

Rage And Acceptance

Well, says Gaius. This is a setback.

What did she say? asks Kierkegaard.

It seems we've been using the wrong type of crab, says Gaius. Her study examined emerita analoga, the small sand burrowing decapod crustacean otherwise known as the mole crab.

I imagine that means our time spent on your study has been wasted, says Kierkegaard.

I fear so, says Gaius. We may as well abort now.

What a shame, says Lauren. What will you do with the crabs?

Terence will be pleased, says Gaius. He has obtained a new parrot.

Yay! says Terence. Where is it?

I refer to Alexander-Red-Hook, says Gaius. Did you not ask her?

He asked me, says Alexander-Red-Hook. Now he's forgotten.

I haven't, says Terence. But I nearly got two.

No you didn't, says Gaius. There's only one parrot.

Not even one, strictly speaking, says Kierkegaard.

Right! says Victor. This crab is to be returned to Henley with the other one in the salad bowl, and this dead one.

He drops the Monte Carlo packet onto the table.

I won't be returning to Henley for quite some time, says Gaius. Perhaps Arthur will take them. But no. I'll need Arthur.

Another project? asks Lauren.

Yes, says Gaius. While I'm here I intend to do some bird spotting.

How nice, says Lauren. I'm into birds. I could come with you.

Hum, says Gaius, trying to think of a reason why she shouldn't.

Luckily he is saved from an answer by the arrival of Sweezus and Belle.

What's up? asks Sweezus.

Wrong sort of crabs, says Gaius.

Bummer, says Sweezus.

Good! says Terence. I get to keep one. She's going to be my new parrot.

No kidding! says Sweezus. Is she the one that can juggle?

YES! says Terence.

What about Alexander-Groovy? asks Belle. What's his future?

Home to Henley, says Gaius. Perhaps you could take him. When are you returning?

Tomorrow, says Belle. Yes, we'll take him.

She goes over to the red salad bowl.

Alexander-Groovy looks up.

He has heard all that was said, and is torn between rage and acceptance.


No comments: